Many issues on Komodo 11

There have multiple issues on Komodo 11 with Python 2.7.14.

1: On the first app launch after installation, it will detect the paths of each language, choose the path of Python 2.7.14 from the menu. The settings will be not saved onto “Preferences”->“Languages”->“Python2”->“Use this interpreter”, it is still empty.

2: There have no “Code” on the right pane, but it exists on Komodo 10. This is a very important feature for Python coding. Is it replaced with Symbol Browser?
However, Symbol Browser will always show “To use the Symbol Browser please open a buffer with a supported language”.

3: After exit the Komodo, the app will still be running in background, and python.exe will also running in background. If launch Komodo again, it will launch another python.exe process. This behavior does not make sense.

4: Add below into register, then right click a Python script to open with Komodo IDE, the app will be not launched. Komodo IDE 10 does not have this issue.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Komodo IDE]
@="Open with Komodo IDE"
"Icon"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\\komodo.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\Komodo IDE\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\\komodo.exe\" \"%1\""

5: There have so many syntax errors on C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\components\koPythonLinter.py, this file is same with Komodo IDE 10, do you plan to improve it? Sometimes, if modify a Python script with Komodo IDE 10, save and close, And do some modification on the same script file with the other editor, then open it with Komodo IDE 10 again, syntax check of Python will be broken.
For example, on log file “pystderr.log”, can find trackback error like below:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\components\koLintService.py", line 172, in lint_with_text
    newLintResults = UnwrapObject(linter).lint_with_text(request, text)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\components\koPythonLinter.py", line 463, in lint_with_text
    m.group(1), m.group(2), m.group(3))
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'group'

To fix this error, need to modify line #458~464 to:

if m is None:
                    _complainIfNeeded(stderr, "Error running pyflakes on file %r\n%s",
                                      request.koDoc.displayPath, stderr)
                else:
                    # It's a syntax error - convert it.
                    error = "%s:%s: invalid syntax (at column %s)" % (
                    errorLines = [error]

Hi, I can address some of your questions.

2: The code pane has been replaced by the symbol browser pane. You will have to open a source file for the pane to be populated with symbols.

3: Komodo’s “python.exe” process should exit after a few seconds.

4: We do not provide support or guidance on manually modifying the Windows registry. It’s dangerous.

5: Please log a bug at https://github.com/Komodo/KomodoEdit/issues and we’ll address it. Thanks!

I’ve filed a bug for that:

Thanks for letting us know about the issue.

Are you sure Symbol Browser can works with Python? I try multiple ways, but unfortunately, neither works. I have to waive Komodo 11 and roll back to 10.

Yes I am sure Symbol Browser can work with Python. Are you sure your code is valid Python?

Yes, the code is working with Komodo 10. Can you share detailed steps of Symbol Browser?

1. Create a new Python file.

2. Enter the following content:

class Foo:
         def bar(self):
              pass

3. Make sure the right pane is visible.

4. Click on the Symbol Browser tab.

5. See below.

Does not work at all. See below:

Just tested it, but I had the same results as @johnzhong.
Did some more research, but found out that my default python interpreter was not set.
After I set this preferences, it still was not working for me.

Rebooted and everything is working as suspected .

Tested it against Komodo X, but here the code (symbol browser) does not need the default python interpreter to be set for it to work.
Also I had python installed prior to Komodo 11, shouldn’t the interpreter be found in the start up wizard?

You do not need the default Python interpreter to be set.

Please share your error log if you are able to reproduce this: Help > Troubleshooting > View Log File.

Ah maybe that did not do the trick, can not reproduce if I set the default interpreter on blank.
But I also tried a other thing, I disabled the legacy parser.
But I can’t remember if the pref was first on or off when I encountered the issue.

When it’s enabled I’m not getting any results.
I’m have python 2.7 installed locally.

Yeah the Legacy parser is a lot slower, I wouldn’t recommend using it on large files.

Unfortunately, symbol browser is always not working on my systems, no matter set the Python interpreter or not.

Komodo v11.0.1 still have the same issue, and python.exe process called by Komodo will be always running on there.

From pystderr.log, can find below errors:
[2017-10-31 14:53:47,269] [ERROR] commando-scope-packages: Unable to retrieve package listing for addons
Traceback from ERROR in ‘commando-scope-packages’ logger:
Logger.prototype.error@chrome://komodo/content/sdk/logging.js:411:27
this._getAvailablePackagesByKind/<@chrome://scope-packages/content/packages.js:434:17
this.request/req.onreadystatechange@chrome://komodo/content/sdk/ajax.js:75:17

[2017-10-31 14:53:48,095] [ERROR] koLintService: lint_with_text exception
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\components\koLintService.py”, line 172, in lint_with_text
newLintResults = UnwrapObject(linter).lint_with_text(request, text)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\components\koPythonLinter.py”, line 463, in lint_with_text
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘group’

[2017-10-31 14:53:49,390] [DEBUG] ko.launch: Response: http://docs.komodoide.com/changelog/110 (0)
[2017-10-31 14:53:49,999] [ERROR] commando-scope-packages: Unable to retrieve package listing for macros
this._getAvailablePackagesByKind/<@chrome://scope-packages/content/packages.js:434:17

[2017-10-31 14:53:50,247] [INFO] codeintel/process: CodeIntel started on port 57828
[2017-10-31 14:53:50,247] [DEBUG] codeintel/process: Calling callbacks for: started, number: 1
[2017-10-31 14:53:50,372] [ERROR] socket-tcp: Error occurred: error : ConnectionRefusedError
Traceback from ERROR in ‘socket-tcp’ logger:
connection/onError@chrome://komodo/content/sdk/socket/tcp.js:101:17
ts_callListener@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/TCPSocket.js:340:5
TCPSocket.prototype._maybeReportErrorAndCloseIfOpen@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/TCPSocket.js:828:7
ts_onInputStreamReady@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/TCPSocket.js:859:7

[2017-10-31 14:53:51,963] [ERROR] commando-scope-packages: Unable to retrieve package listing for toolbox

[2017-10-31 14:56:28,405] [ERROR] console-logger: TypeError: invalid ‘in’ operand languages (2) in chrome://codeintel/content/sdk/feature/symbolbrowser.js:156
File “chrome://codeintel/content/sdk/feature/symbolbrowser.js”, line 156, in

Does restarting in safe-mode resolve the issue? Help > Troubleshooting > Restart in Safe-mode.

Restart in Safe-mode does not working, Komodo will be always at stop working while restarting.

By the way, Komodo was performed clean installation, no old profile exists before installation.

Please try the manual steps here to restart in safe-mode:

http://docs.activestate.com/komodo/11/manual/trouble.html#ko_default

Tried, still have the same issue. And python.exe will be always running in background after close komodo, never exit.

Do you have a custom firewall installed? Komodo makes a local connection for CodeIntel via TCP, this shouldn’t trigger any sane firewall, but it might if it’s turned up to be super aggressive or something alone those lines.

I’m currently hitting the same issue as above, codeintell is not working at all.
And have the same socket error:

[2017-11-25 08:47:29,394] [ERROR] socket-tcp: Error occurred: error : ConnectionRefusedError
Traceback from ERROR in 'socket-tcp' logger:
    connection/onError@chrome://komodo/content/sdk/socket/tcp.js:101:17
    ts_callListener@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/TCPSocket.js:340:5
    TCPSocket.prototype._maybeReportErrorAndCloseIfOpen@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/TCPSocket.js:828:7
    ts_onInputStreamReady@file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/TCPSocket.js:859:7

I used to have a working version of 11, the only thing I did is uninstall Komodo 11 and 10 and removed both profile folders. I reinstalled 10 and later on 11, so the preferences where copied over from 9 profile folder.

I’m also unable to close or restart Komodo, if I look in the task manager.

I almost has become a zombie process.

When It finaly closes, it does not close the python process:

If I inspect the process, I get the following message:

The translation “One ore more threads of Python.exe is waiting on the completion of network -I/O”

Did some more testing, but it seems to be a firewall issue.
I recently installed ZoneAlarm as firewall, but noticed it is a bit aggressive.
To get codeintell working again, I had to add localhost (127.0.0.1) to my safe zones.
When I now started Komodo, ZoneAlarm prompted that Komodo want to access my save zones.
When I now granted Komodo to access the safe zone, codeintell is starting up and working.

Also when having this issue, the symbol browser is broken in every file.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @babobski. Overzealous firewalls are definitely a problem, but this is nothing new. CodeIntel has been connecting to a socket on localhost since version 9.