Komodo 9.3 Pre-release, what do you like? What don't you like?

It works fine with one exception:
when I save a working file I get a "Permission denied " message
I can however save it as
ex. about.html can be saved as about1.html but fails to update the working file.

Please report any bugs you run into on our bug tracker: https://github.com/Komodo/KomodoEdit/issues

This thread is only intended for general feedback :slight_smile:

I have tried to like the new syntax checking popups, but I really donā€™t. I find them of no real benefit, but they are more and more annoying.

Is there a way of disabling those popups, without negatively affecting background syntax checking in any other way? Previously, I could already see when thereā€™s a problem with a line, because itā€™s got squiggle underlining. If I hover the mouse over it, the tooltip says what the issue is. Also, thereā€™s the triangle warning symbol in the status bar to tell me thereā€™s an issue, and if I want to, I can look at all the errors in one place, using the bottom panel. I just donā€™t see any need for the popups, particularly as they are normally only appearing while Iā€™m actually writing unfinished code.

Also, what has happened to the error/warning display in the notifications panel? Mine is full of warnings about things that Iā€™ve already fixed in the code, which I was writing at the time. Also, I can no longer double click an error line to go directly to the line of code in the editor. Iā€™m very disappointed with this new behaviour, which seems to make syntax checking much less useful, perhaps even to the point of disabling it and going back to using external tools for code checking.

They definitely still need some improvements, weā€™ll be sure to work on those. Iā€™m not sure what you mean by the notifications panel, consider opening a bug report or a separate forum thread (whichever seems more appropriate).

Q: how to close the boatload of find result tabs piling up? Any command/shortcut for that? Mousing around isnā€™t fun.

1 Like

Just hit the cog icon on the notification and select ā€œDisable Notifications of This Typeā€

hmmm, for find result tabs ?

Oh sorry, I got your issue mixed up with another. There is no shortcut for that, but thatā€™s an interesting idea.

Hereā€™s a userscript that does it:

var items = ko.widgets._widgets.listitems();
for (let item of items)
{
    let [name, widget] = item;
    if (name.indexOf("findresults") !== 0) continue;
    let tab = widget.browser.parentNode.tab;
    tab.dispatchEvent(new Event("close-tab"));
}
1 Like

Iā€™m not crazy about the new Addon manager:

• The new manager will get unwieldy if the number of new format addons increases substantially.
  • There is no information displayed about addons, which means you must know exactly what youā€™re looking for before the event.
  • It is too easy to miss updates to addons

Most of the rest is good, including the new method of multiple selections. Iā€™ll try it out on some students tomorrow.

@manngo I tend to agree with your comments on the add-ons management. I was trying to figure which version of my own add-on I have installed in Komodo on one of my secondary computers yesterday and I canā€™t find a place where that information (the version) is shown. Maybe Iā€™m missing it, but I also canā€™t find a way to see which add-ons are installed by default.

Maybe I am just not looking in the right place?

I think youā€™re looking the right place ā€” thatā€™s the point.

In my addon, it installs a menu, and I have included the version number in the about ā€¦ item, just for this reason.

Looks great so far. But, how do I search within a project? The option to search all files in a project seems not to be there in the new Find/Replace.

Very valid comments, the package manager is still very new and will have some annoyances like the ones you named, they will be addressed in future versions.

There also seems to be no way to have the search go through all subdirectories?

Can you explain what you mean by ā€œthe searchā€?

Sureā€¦ When I try to search by Files (since search Project seems to be gone?), it shows one directory, with no option to recurse. Searching that one directory always returns ā€œNo Files Found to Searchā€, even though there are files even in that directory that match the filter and should be searched. The filter is .pm;.pl;.js

I see now that the small tree icon next to the files box is the recurse option, but I still am getting ā€˜no files found to searchā€™ as I mentioned, when there should be many.

Search Project should still be there, though it will only show if you have an active project. So ensure that you have your project opened properly.

Itā€™s hard for me to say why you would not be getting results, it could easily be an issue with your search query rather than an actual bug. Consider opening a new thread (this is getting slightly off topic) and post some screenshots of your search query, results and folder structure.

Re-opening my project brought search Project back. Iā€™m not sure how it would have gotten closed upgrading to the new version?

Similarly, the problem with Find in Files was that the filters were all in the format .pl;.pm instead of *.pl;*pm etc. Again, this happened of its own accord during the upgrade.