How to set "Track changes insertions" color in v10?

This is the color of the bar in the left editor margin for insertions. In v9.3.0 I could set this color in Color Scheme/Colors. But I can’t seem to find a corresponding setting in v10.1.0. This is a problem because the insertion color in v10.1.0 seems to be black while the margin background is grey so that insertions are indiscernible. I could set the margin background color (Color Scheme Editor/Editor/Line Number Margin), but I’d rather set the insertion color. Is there a way to do this?

v9.3.0 screenshot:

v10.1.0 screenshot (Line Number Margin=white: don’t want this):

Help appreciated, thanks!

Start by opening up the Color Scheme Editor (Tools > Color Scheme Editor). Then;

For the white background:

Find and select “Line Number Margin”, change the color there and then do the same for “Fold Margin”.

For the change tracker colors:

Change the dropdown selection on the left to “Interface”, then find and change the “Source Code Control” colors.

Thanks, that works!

A few comments (please correct/comment as necessary):

• I need to check only Editor and not Interface when I apply the settings, otherwise I seem to lose my Interface color scheme and things looks really bad.
  • It seems I need to restart Komodo for the changes to be applied
  • I wasn’t sure what the different options mean in the color scheme editor but I think I’ve got it now. New means this is totally new line and Modified means you’ve modified an existing line. Is that right? Here are some screenshots:

Thanks again!

Things looking bad depends on the color scheme you’re using and how you’ve set it up, that’s not something we have a hand in.

Komodo does apply the changes instantly but for various reasons you may require a restart for all the changes to propegate properly.

That’s correct :slight_smile: New means something was added, modified means something that existed was changed.

Excellent, thanks so much for the very detailed help!

Komodo edit 11.1
I tried change color? but this take no effect.
I tried i 11.1 10.1.4 10.2.3 No effect!
New line always is green, changed — blue.

Apply misc color schemes take no effect

@ekkl,

You likely didn’t apply the colour scheme before closing the dialog. Sorry for the obscenely late reply.

• Carey

Hi, @careyh and @nathanr! I’m running into the same issue as the others. I tried Rock’s suggestion of only checking editor as well, but the SCC sidebar colors still don’t seem to change. I’m sure to save and apply the changes every time, restarting sometimes.

I looked at the .ksf files for the built-in themes and they all have different colors for the SCC sidebars, but when I apply them to Komodo using the color scheme editor, they remain the same between ALL the themes! Let me know if you need any more info!

Edit: I’m using Komodo Edit 12

Alex

Morning @AlexT,

Track changes piggy backs on Interface > SCC styles. Specifically new, deleted and modified. You can alter those to change the track changes colours.

When applying the change, you’ll need to make sure Interface is selected.

I just tried it, changing that light green to bright red for new and it worked. Let us know if you continue to have issues.

Hi again @careyh, thanks for the quick response! Unfortunately, I was sure to apply the change with interface selected and it still doesn’t seem to work. I did some looking at some other threads (How to disable tracking changes), and I saw someone go to tools >> add-ons (legacy) to enable/disable Track changes. There, I saw that “Track changes is incompatible with Komodo Edit 12.0.1. Track changes1.0(disabled)

I thought that it might help to disable then re-enable the add-on, but after disabling it there was no option to enable Track changes. Now, the indicators don’t show at all when editing. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it’d be nice to find a fix.

Thanks for your help so far, and let me know if you have any updates!

Alex

@AlexT, the Track Changes addon is probably now at the bottom of the dialog you were looking at. You can re-enable it there.

When you’ve got it back, try Help > Troubleshooting > Restart in Safe Mode then try to the Changes.

If that doesn’t work then I’ll need exact details of the steps you’re taking to make the change. It’s working fine for me so the feature isn’t broken, which means there is a step in your process that is incorrect and we need to find it.

Hi @careyh, thanks for the dedication! I saw the Track Changes addon at the bottom, but it doesn’t give me an option to enable like the other addons. I restarted it in safe mode which brought back the Track Changes option fortunately, but it still isn’t changing color. I installed it on another computer and still has the same issue.

My steps are exactly:
tools >> color scheme editor >> interface (dropdown menu) >> Source Code Control: New >> foreground >> change color >> OK >> Save >> apply >> check the Editor, Interface, Widgets boxes (I’ve tried just interface and each independently, and all combinations) >> OK >> then sometimes apply and OK again for good measure :’)

This method seems to work with changing other colors for different parts, just not SCC.

If you can’t find an issue, its not a huge deal. Its just a little nagging. It might just be on my end. I would switch to Komodo IDE since it looks better supported (? not sure, haven’t downloaded it yet), but I need a simpler text editor without too many bells and whistles as a requirement for one of my uni classes and I was drawn to Komodo edit.

On a side-note-- wondering if you all will implement a “show all other uses of” feature for finding other uses of a keyword with just clicking on it?

Alex

Thanks for filling that out @AlexT. That process looks correct, unfortunately :(. Not sure what’s going on. If you’re interested in digging more please repo the issue then share your logs from Help > Troubleshooting > View log file. Maybe something helpful is in there.

Hrm, actually, looking at this locally again. Alex, you said that your Track Changes add on said it was not compatible with Komodo 12? I’m not seeing that in mine. Going to clarify a couple things:

1. How did you open Add Ons? Was it the legacy dialog or no?
  2. Can you share a screenshot of the addons stuff? There definitely should be an “Enable” button in the disable addon, assuming you’re looking at the Legacy dialog.

Oh, and no, no plans to add that feature. Komodo will highlight variables in the same scope if you click on one though.

Hi @careyh,
Here is a section of the log file-- they all look like variations of the same error message:

As for the addons, I went to the legacy dialogue. Here is what it looks like normally. It also has many other features in addition to Track Changes that aren’t compatible like focus mode and spellchecker.

I realized what caused the enable button to disappear was clicking enable on the “Add-on compatibility checking is disabled…” section in the top yellow bar.

After which it looks like this:

I noticed that not only does Track Changes go away, but also focus mode. The eye icon disappears from the top bar. Clicking more doesn’t allow you to enable either.

Hope this helps. Overall, its a small issue, so I understand if you don’t have the time resources to bother with it.

Alex

hey @AlexT,

That’s really weird that all those add ons are “not compatible”. None of the modules that ship with Komodo should be incompatible and they aren’t for me.

I don’t think that’s the issue though. Can you share the whole log file? That error definitely looks like it’s part of the issue but it implies something else didn’t load properly that should have.

Hey @careyh, sure thing.

I tried to attach the file, but couldn’t figure out how, so here’s just a copy/paste of it. Let me know if another format would be easier to read.

[2021-01-09 09:29:43,296] [INFO] Startup: Welcome to Komodo Edit 12.0.1 build 18441 (platform win32-x86, running on Windows post2012Server version 6.3.9600)
[2021-01-09 09:29:43,296] [INFO] Startup: C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo Edit 12\lib\mozilla\komodo.exe built on Tue Feb 11 04:14:27 2020
[2021-01-09 09:29:45,438] [WARNING] console-logger: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create (1) in resource://gre/modules/Preferences.jsm:381
[2021-01-09 09:29:45,516] [WARNING] root: [object Object].logging has been converted to a CommonJS module; use require(“ko/logging”) instead (since Komodo 9.0.0a1).
@chrome://komodo/content/komodo.js:48:1

[2021-01-09 09:29:46,313] [ERROR] console-logger: bad script XDR magic number (0) in :0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 0, in

[2021-01-09 09:29:46,812] [WARNING] keybindings: [F1] was used for ‘cmd_helpHelp’, overriding to use ‘cmd_toggleInteractiveShell’
[2021-01-09 09:29:46,812] [WARNING] keybindings: [Ctrl+0] was used for ‘cmd_goToQuickBookmark_0’, overriding to use ‘cmd_fontZoomReset’
[2021-01-09 09:29:48,582] [WARNING] ko.widgets: Pref path doesn’t exist: windowWorkspace, 1
[2021-01-09 09:29:49,262] [INFO] koInitService: Adding pre startup service for ‘koFileStatusService’: ‘@activestate.com/koFileStatusService;1’
[2021-01-09 09:29:49,262] [INFO] elastic_tabstops: Elastic tabstops loaded.
[2021-01-09 09:29:50,210] [ERROR] CT::margin.js: couldn’t get the insert-color
– EXCEPTION START –
TypeError: this.view.scheme.getInterfaceStyleRaw is not a function

• stack
    exports.MarginController.prototype._initMarkerStyles@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:59:32
    refreshMarginProperies@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:120:9
    MarginController@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:44:5
    exports.ChangeTracker.prototype.changeTrackingOn@chrome://trackchanges/content/tracker.js:63:19
    ChangeTracker@chrome://trackchanges/content/tracker.js:27:5
    this.onViewOpenedHandler@chrome://trackchanges/content/trackchanges.js:88:26
    this.init/<@chrome://trackchanges/content/trackchanges.js:49:13
    this.init@chrome://trackchanges/content/trackchanges.js:46:1
    xtk.domutils.fireEvent@chrome://xtk/content/domutils.js:187:5
    onloadDelay/<@chrome://komodo/content/komodo.js:467:9
    – EXCEPTION END –
    [2021-01-09 09:29:50,210] [ERROR] CT::margin.js: couldn’t get the delete-color
    – EXCEPTION START –
  • stack
    exports.MarginController.prototype._initMarkerStyles@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:65:32
    exports.ChangeTracker.prototype.changeTrackingOn@chrome://trackchanges/content/tracker.js:63:19
    – EXCEPTION END –
    [2021-01-09 09:29:50,210] [ERROR] CT::margin.js: couldn’t get the change-color
    – EXCEPTION START –
  • stack
    exports.MarginController.prototype._initMarkerStyles@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:71:33
    – EXCEPTION END –
    [2021-01-09 09:29:52,957] [INFO] koInitService: Adding pre startup service for ‘KoMemoryReporter’: ‘@activestate.com/koMemoryReporter;1’
    [2021-01-09 09:29:52,973] [INFO] koInitService: Adding pre startup service for ‘koCommandmentService’: ‘@activestate.com/koCommandmentService;1’
    [2021-01-09 09:29:53,286] [WARNING] console-logger: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create (1) in file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20Edit%2012/lib/mozilla/components/koamAddonManager.js:138
    [2021-01-09 09:35:56,289] [WARNING] console-logger: Unknown property ‘foreground’. Declaration dropped. (1) in less://komodo/skin/colorpicker/colorpicker.less:12
    [2021-01-09 09:35:56,357] [WARNING] console-logger: Expected color but found ‘#’. Error in parsing value for ‘background-color’. Declaration dropped. (1) in chrome://komodo/content/colorpicker/colorpicker.html:0
    [2021-01-09 09:36:13,651] [WARNING] koLess: Reloading Skin
    [2021-01-09 09:36:13,651] [WARNING] koLess: Clearing local and file cache
    [2021-01-09 09:36:13,651] [WARNING] koLess: Cleaning up 1 old caches
    [2021-01-09 09:36:14,056] [ERROR] CT::margin.js: couldn’t get the insert-color
    – EXCEPTION START –
  • stack
    exports.MarginController.prototype._initMarkerStyles@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:59:32
    exports.MarginController.prototype.observe@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:99:9
    _applyInterface@chrome://komodo/content/sdk/colorscheme.js:276:9
    notify@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/timers.js:40:9
    – EXCEPTION END –
    [2021-01-09 09:36:14,056] [ERROR] CT::margin.js: couldn’t get the delete-color
    – EXCEPTION START –
  • stack
    exports.MarginController.prototype._initMarkerStyles@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:65:32
    exports.MarginController.prototype.observe@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:99:9
    notify@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://gre/modules/commonjs/sdk/timers.js:40:9
    – EXCEPTION END –
    [2021-01-09 09:36:14,056] [ERROR] CT::margin.js: couldn’t get the change-color
    – EXCEPTION START –
  • stack
    exports.MarginController.prototype._initMarkerStyles@chrome://trackchanges/content/margin.js:71:33
    – EXCEPTION END –
    [2021-01-09 09:36:19,319] [WARNING] console-logger: Key event not available on GTK2: key=“u” modifiers=“control,shift” (1) in chrome://komodo/content/komodo.xul:0

Alex

@AlexT, man…I’m not sure what’s going on here. That error indicates that the colour scheme for your editor window didn’t load at all but clearly it’s working. I vaguely recall this coming up in the past and i THINK it was related to the user having a very old colour scheme that they had unwittingly (Komodo imports the newest old profile it finds which could be very old if you haven’t upgraded in a while) imported.

But that should have been worked around by starting in safe mode. Perhaps you didn’t actually restart in safe mode though. The only thing left I can think of to try is manually removing your schemes folder in your profile folder and starting from scratch with a colour scheme that ships with Komodo.

If that doesn’t work, I’m at a loss!

Hi @careyh,

No problem, thanks for trying!

Alex