Windows File Explorer context menu item "Open in Komodo IDE"

First thing I found was this key:

So I cross-referenced the UUID and found this key:

So I searched for ContextMenuHandlers MSDN on google and found this page:

That page explains how the other Windows editors are achieving their magic. Specifically, under the first topic:

Because shortcut menus are often used for file management, the Shell provides a set of default commands, such as Cut and Copy, that appear on the shortcut menu for any file system object such as a file or a folder.

So it would seem that what you want, if you want to enable similar behavior as other popular windows-based text editors of the day, is to create a ā€œdefaultā€ command.

Iā€™ll also make a note that Windows context menus support Shift+RightClick for an ā€œextendedā€ context menu, which (for example) enables the Windows built-in CMD Prompt Here/Powershell Here actions. I personally like to utilize that to organize less-often used items. For example, Iā€™d happily delegate 7-zip to Shift+RightClick, if it was an option in 7-zip. I personally want my ā€œOpen with Text Editorā€¦ā€ option to be a regular Context Menu action but figured Iā€™d mention it since it might be a config option worth considering for others.

@jstine35, thanks for that digging. Thatā€™s the general way it currently works in Komodo. I guess it could be an opt in thing to add it to every files context menu. I personally would not be happy if a program (that didnā€™t need to) added itself to every file context menu. Notepad++ sticks out like a soar thumb in that screen shot.

• Carey

What would be interesting is if I could get a heat-map of the menu items I actually use, by frequency. If such a thing existed, the hottest items on my menu would be:

Edit in Notepad++
TortoiseGit

The coldest items would be:

Open (why does this exist? thatā€™s what enter/double-click is for!)
Troubleshoot Compatibility (maybe this was more useful in 2011 on Vista?)
CRC SHA (I just removed this, which was added by 7-zip)
Scan with Windows Defender
Pin to Taskbar (I just right-click the taskbar and pin running apps from there)
Send To

So nearly every default item added by Microsoft, besides cut/copy/properties/PinToStart/RunAsAdmin, are the most unused things on my context menu. Iā€™m really quite happy to have any other app add something with any actual potential use to this menu. From my perspective, adding something actually useful like ā€œEdit in A Good Text Editorā€ greatly improves the value of this context menu which is normally this oddly-easy thing to bring up with oddly obscure and unhelpful ā€œtoolsā€ listed within it. Adding useful tools is a good thing!

Open (why does this exist? thatā€™s what enter/double-click is for!)

Some people prefer ā€“ or are compelled by physical problems ā€“ to use keyboard only, and the ā€œOpenā€ menu item allows them to be sure of whatā€™s about to happen, vs. typing Enter and not being sure because the focus looks like itā€™s on the file but isnā€™t (some OSs and some UI schemes are worse than others in that regard).

haha #truth. Oh fair point from @mjross though.

Ok just want to clarify that there is a quorum since @mjross started this post. The ask here is that on install, Komodo adds a ā€œEdit with Komodoā€ to every file type. This would be opt in in the installer.

The most viable option will be to extend the existing Prefs stuff to add this menu to ALL file types. The alternative is writing what MIGHT be a bunch of new code in WIX (not the online website builder) to implement this in the installer. Iā€™ll have to do some digging to see if I can make that job more viable.

@mjross, if that all makes sense, can you file it and link back to this thread?

• Carey

Certainly, but Iā€™m not sure what you mean by ā€œfile itā€, since it is already documented here as a feature request. Do you mean file it as a bug report? (My confusion may be caused by travel-induced sleep deprivation.)

@mjross, as in github. We donā€™t track feature work in the forums. This is just to see if people/the community are on board with the suggested feature.

• Carey

That makes sense. All done: https://github.com/Komodo/KomodoEdit/issues/3718

1 Like