These are just some thoughts I had when trying out v.10.1.
The Toolbars still don’t make any sense to me.
- I prefer the “classic layout”, but I’d be willing to try the “regular layout” if I understood what problem it was trying to solve. So half of the toolbars and the menu hamburger are floating at about the 3/4 mark–why?
- For that matter, what problem is the Main Toolbar Left/Right trying to solve? It looks like the left has basic functions and the right has toolbox defined functions…plus macro and pane toggles. Huh? Why? And why can’t I move something right <–> left?
- The dynamic toolbar is a nice addition, but no amount of [obvious] color scheme editing can change the color of these icons. Also, the changlog says we can add tools to the dynamic toolbar, but I can see nothing in the UI or the docs about how to do this.
- Why are the other tools banished to the bottom of the side toolbar? Why can’t I add tools? Why can’t I move them? I got used to having several of those tools in my main toolbar. In 9.x I could at least re-order the toolbars. I’ve completely lost that.
The Color Scheme Editor is much better. Still a few oddities.
- The “apply” button works only about half the time. I’ve found I need to restart Komodo (fortunately I’ve added a “restart” button) to really see what has been affected by the color change.
- I had a lot of Komodo crashes while using the Color Scheme Editor. Nothing reliably reproduceable, but something is definitely going on with the tool.
- It appears as though the Publishing “cloud” icons share the “Source Code Control: ***” color codes. This is very unclear from the color code titles. I don’t mind them sharing, but maybe rename the color code title to not be so tied to SCC.
- A nod to the aforementioned lack of obvious way to change the icon color of the dynamic toolbar.
The Tutorial Tool seems like a nice touch, until I begin to wonder how does it make Komodo a better IDE. Honestly, the Tutorials feel like someone with clout decided that they would be a “cool” feature and pushed it through.
And, a very minor nit, the application icon is rather low resolution and looks sad next to my other running applications.
There are things I do like though.
- I do like the flat look and I appreciate the minimalist approach to reducing clutter.
- The SCC branch switching widget is great. It’s a supercharged version of neurobashing’s “Git Branch in Statusbar”.
- I also like the Publishing force push/pull. I’ve been waiting for that for awhile.
- And the many, many editor bug fixes.
I feel v.10.1 is close. I’m just about ready to upgrade–but not yet.