Tab double indents? (column 0 -> 8)

I am in a JS file and I have the editor set to “prefer tabs” and the tab worth is 4.
But when I hit tab, I get thrown all the way to postion 8.
When I hit delete, it takes me back to 0.
When I hit shift-tab it takes me back to 0.
When I hit shift left arrow, I can select then one tab, and delete the extra tab.

I’d like to know how I can have it do what I tell it to do - namely indent one tab (4 columns worth) I’ve checked the settings.

Thanks.

Check Edit - Current File Preferences.

Thanks! That explains it… I seem to have a bunch of files like this, where the filetype is set one way but the file itself behaves another way. Is there a way to force it to follow the filetype rules?

Try Preferences - Indentation - Allow file contents to override Tab and Indentation settings

Awesome thanks. One last question.
Wyeth i type if it gives me
If (test) {

}

How can i turn that off?

Preferences - Smart Editing - Enable Auto-Abbreviations, with Trigger Characters
You can simply un-check it or just write \t in the box below to save auto-abbreviations but only if you press Tab.
In the second case it will works like this:
if| - | is cursor. You press Tab and it’s transform to if (test) { }

Try Preferences - Indentation - Allow file contents to override Tab and Indentation settings

Yeah, I already had that unchecked.

So it’s doesn’t help you?

I just checked again. No it does not help. I have the Allow file-specific not checked, and when I view the file settings it still says tab 8, when I look at the general JS settings it says tab 4.

Sorry that’s all what I know. Probably it’s can be a bug but I’m not sure…

You most likely want to be disabling Prefs > Code-Intelligence > Enable Autocomplete fill-up characters