Komodo's new ribbon bar

I think it’s cool that your’e trying to do something different with the Ribbon bar…but I find it distracting and after using it for a while I still have difficulty quickly identifying the name of the tab that is open in the editor. For example, Console.py is the file being edited in the image below but at first glance my brain is confused for a while. It gets confused by the blue color of Frame.py and the underline in Console.py

It may be that in time it will be trained to quickly understand the difference but I’m not counting on it because these conventions are not used in any other programs I use. Lots of programs use tabs and they all use a tab shape to indicate which file is selected in the notebook.

I’m not against other people using this new style if they like it but I would really appreciate an option to get a tab shape back. It would also be nice if I could disable the color coding of items in the ribbon/tab list. I feel like at a certain point you’re encoding too much information in this space. It distracts and slows me down.

Thanks for listening!

-G

You can get a traditional tab simply by enabling Preferences > Appearance > Enable Classic Mode.

It is recommended that you use this in combination with the classic color scheme, which I believe you are using already :slight_smile:

After checking that checkbox and restarting Komodo I’m still seeing the ribbon with underlines & no tabs.

That’s odd, it’s working fine for me on WIndows. Using the exact same settings as you, aside from the interface colors. Could you try using Classic for your Interface/widget/editor colors? Just to see if it makes a difference.

Hm, I tried switching to Classic but it doesn’t appear to help

Try to re-enable this checkbox and share your log file (help - troubleshooting - view log file). Maybe there’s something that prevents Komodo to process this change.

which checkbox? classic mode? I just tried unchecking & checking the Classic mode checkbox. Here’s a couple of lines that showed up at the end of the log after that:

[2016-06-28 12:45:55,410] [WARNING] koLess: Reloading Skin
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,410] [WARNING] koLess: Clearing local and file cache
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,411] [WARNING] koLess: Cleaning up 1 old caches
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,418] [WARNING] koLess: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.remove]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://komodo/content/library/less.js :: koLess_cache_clear :: line 609"  data: no]
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,421] [WARNING] koLess: Reloading Skin
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,421] [WARNING] koLess: Clearing local and file cache
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,421] [WARNING] koLess: Cleaning up 1 old caches
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,423] [WARNING] koLess: Failed cleaning up lessCache version '1467143118245', leaving for future cleanup
[2016-06-28 12:45:55,424] [WARNING] koLess: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsIFile.remove]"  nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://komodo/content/library/less.js :: koLess_cache_clear :: line 609"  data: no]
[2016-06-28 12:46:06,868] [ERROR] console-logger: TypeError: pending is undefined (2) in chrome://komodo/content/library/less.js:276
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "chrome://komodo/content/library/less.js", line 276, in 

[2016-06-28 12:46:12,029] [ERROR] console-logger: bad script XDR magic number (0) in :0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "", line 0, in

This doesn’t look very good.

Could you try using one of the default color schemes please? It seems likely that a custom one is causing an issue.

That worked but now the icons are back on the tabs. Can you send me something I can type into the console to remove them again?

Update, I added this line
.tab-icon { visibility: collapse; }

to my color scheme and the tabs are looking good!

I think we might need to have a look at this. There have been a fair number of people (relatively speaking) that had issues with it not being immediately obvious what file was selected. I don’t have tabs though so I have no suggestions :frowning:

• Carey

You just need to distract tab with a lighter/darker background instead of drawing an underline for it imo. Or make coloring the name of a tab configurable. Maybe there are some users who doesn’t need SCC information in their tabs (which may not be that obviously if your colors are not yellow for modified, red for removed and yellow for changed :P)

I’b be fine with the underline as the visible tab indicator if I could disable SCC colorization.

Thanks CSS gods and Komodo devs for custom CSS feature!

tab{color:@foreground!important} this thing will disable SCC colorization. You can use tab[selected=true]{...} to customize the look of active tab (or don’t change it and just draw a border-bottom)

Logged a bug here:

I don’t know exactly what I will do, but I will investigate and see what can be done.