Komodo IDE 8.5.3 crashes (freezes) Windows XP

Windows XP Professional SP3 (has to be XP, can’t upgrade due to local requirements)
Komodo IDE 8.5.3

After months of successfully using, since yesterday, 10 to 30 minutes after staring Komodo IDE, no Projects or Files loaded, OS starts freezing.

The first indication(s) is that I can’t open a folder from OS, or start any program, or bring the Task Bar up, but can “highlight” icons on the Desktop. Soon after can’t do even that. Mouse pointer stays alive, but often shows an hourglass.

Remediation is a cold restart (power switch) or killing Komodo.exe remotely from another machine. As soon komodo.exe get’s killed, all get’s back to normal.

Happens every time. Collecting a log from Help many is tricky as all get’s frozen.

You can find your log not only via Help - Troubleshooting - View Log file
Go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\ActiveState\Komodo[IDE|Edit]\<version> or C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\ActiveState\Komodo[IDE|Edit]\<version> (For Windows XP)
In this folder you can find pystderr.log. Attach it or copy and paste content of this log. This help developers solve your problem faster.

That was quick response :slight_smile:

Thanks!

As I was in a time crunch to get something done, I went and re installed 8.5.3, looks like the problem went away.

I do know that got me in position not to be able to understand the original problem, but had to deliver something promptly.

Keeping fingers crossed not to be in position to try your suggestion :smile:

Opening the same topic again.
Uninstalled then installed Komodo again, the same problem persists. Got a tip from ActiveState Support that Profile survives the reinstall, so I renamed some folders per their instructions.

First I tried removing:
C:\Documents and Settings<username>\LocalSettings\Application Data\ActiveState\KomodoIDE\8.5\codeintel
-restart Komodo
(did not help)

Then renaming
C:\Documents and Settings<username>\LocalSettings\Application Data\ActiveState\KomodoIDE\8.5>

but no changes at all.

What I also found (not sure if to be expected), after closing KomodoIDE, komodo.exe process stays visible in the Task Manager. Starting KomodoIDE again creates another process with the same name (this does not sound right for sure).

Borderline desperate now - have work to do and IDE crashing OS + using a virtual machine so no access to the “power button” = have to wait for someone to kill komodo.exe remotelly

Attach log. (C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\ActiveState\Komodo[IDE|Edit]\<version>)
Also, in Windows XP folder name can contain < > \ / : ? * " |? Huh.
PS: Where are you from? I think Miroslav is a Russian or Ukrainian first-name.

One more “finding” - with the Profile folder renamed (probably not relevant), after closing Komodo, attempt to open Task Manager fails (can not open the Task Manager)! Minutes after that OS is solid frozen again.

Killing komodo.exe restores everything back to normal immediatelly

form Serbia, but in Chicago since 1998 :smile:

In regards to the special characters in the folder name - this is a “symbolic/universal” path that Support provided, where one can replace as appropriate (for example, if you have KomodoEdit vs KomodoIDE you modify the string (kind of RegEx syntax)

Actual path is (userID removed)
C:\Documents and Settings*******\Local Settings\Application Data\ActiveState\KomodoIDE\8.5

Here is the latest pystderr.log (after normally closing Komodo, still ending up with Komodo.exe and then getting OS frozen)

[2014-07-11 09:26:02,615] [WARNING] koInitService: setPlatformErrorMode:: GetErrorMode not available on platform: XP
[2014-07-11 09:26:07,380] [WARNING] koLess: Clearing local and file cache
[2014-07-11 09:26:07,380] [WARNING] koLess: [Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) [nsILocalFile.remove]” nsresult: “0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)” location: “JS frame :: chrome://komodo/content/library/less.js :: koLess_cache_clear :: line 434” data: no]
[2014-07-11 09:26:20,457] [WARNING] root: ko.findresults was already loaded, re-creating it.

[2014-07-11 09:26:20,691] [DEBUG] places_js: waiting for document complete
[2014-07-11 09:26:59,799] [WARNING] views: Inconsistent view count in view_closed event

Do you by chance have DirectFolders installed?

Sorry for late reply - no DirectFolders installed.