Komodo Edit is broken today

Hello

My Komodo Edit just break : all my user preferences (UI customization, snippets, project list) are gone. It looks like a new install.

When I go to the appdata folder of Komodo I see that there is a corrupted file of prefs.xml :
“prefs.xml.corrupt_20140925_084921”

If I try to rename this file into “prefs.xml” it doesn’t change anything.

How can I get my settings back ?

By the way, this is the second time I have issues like that: when last update, I loose all my UI configuration… It start to be really annoying. I need to work today.

My Komodo Edit version :
Komodo Edit, version 8.5.4, build 14424, platform win32-x86. Built on Thu Aug 14 00:30:57 2014.

Attach your corrupt prefs.xml, I’m try to fix it.

Hello

Thanks for looking into that.

Here is the corrupted file :
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=90733571932274275951

Oh, there is a lot of work. I’m look at it today, but I think @toddw can help you faster :wink:

Hmm, are you sure there is right path? file:///E:/__PROJETS/T/Ternйlia/
I can see й - Russian UTF8 symbol.

This is not suppose to be this symbol, it’s “é” - french accent. With “é” instead of “й” the path is correct. Though I have this project since three months, it never have been an issue. And when I open prefs.xml il Notepad++ I don’t see “й” but the right character, “é”. It must be an issue with your text editor.

Hah, it’s not a Komodo issue. Just encoding bug, sorry :smile:

Hmm. Try to use your corrupt file (rename it to prefs.xml again) and view log in console (Help - Troubleshooting - View log file). Insert your log here in <code> tag. (Or insert it, select and press Ctrl+K).

Well the problem is that when I replace my prefs.xml by the old one, it delete it and roll back to the new prefs.xml.

Here is what I have in the log file :

[2014-09-25 10:40:18,279] [WARNING] ko.main: interpolateStrings is deprecated, use interpolateString
[2014-09-25 10:40:18,374] [DEBUG] places_js: waiting for document complete
[2014-09-25 10:40:18,405] [WARNING] root: ko.findresults was already loaded, re-creating it.

Oh… Okay, wait for @toddw answer.
I’m just don’t understand what wrong with your prefs.xml file (and it’s can be not bad prefs.xml, e.g. your XRE or another folders/files break something).

Ok thanks for your help @Defman. I’ll wait for @toddw.

I don’t know if it could be related, but I was using the Abyss skin. And when I try to use it again, it doesn’t apply for the text zone (see screenshot). Maybe the skin is broken and it made my prefs.xml corrupted?

Abyss skin change only UI, not text zone. You must change colors in text zone in Fonts & Colors.

1 Like

You’re right I forget that. That’s not related then.

I’m sorry, what do you say the problem is? That is just a log file with warnings and a debug message you can easily ignore. Is Komodo disfunctional after restoring the prefs.xml?

Also, any idea what may have caused the corruption? What were you doing right before the corrupted prefs.xml occurred? (ie. the last time you ran Komodo).

I’m ask him a log with hope to see some errors about prefs.xml…

The corrupt prefs file has invalid XML characters (i.e. it’s not well formed XML).

Open this corrupt prefs file in Komodo shows an error on line 807:

<preference-set id="file:///E:/__PROJETS/T/Ternélia/TERNELIA-2014-Jeu_Ambassadeur"> 
  <string id="timestamp">1409562197041</string> 
  <string id="viewName">Current Project</string> 
</preference-set> 

It seems that the xml file is encoded as “Latin-1” instead of UTF-8, and the é in ‘Ternélia’ is causing a problem… I’m not sure how this came to be (as Komodo saves the prefs file as UTF-8). Did you manually edit this file?

Anyway, for a fix, just delete these 4 lines, or alternatively, change the file encoding to UTF-8 (in Komodo) and save it.

Cheers,
Todd

1 Like

You’re right ! I changed the encoding to UTF-8 and get my settings back !
I have no idea of how it happened - I never opened this file before, and as I said I have this project for months.

Thanks for your help.