Hi, could you share a small sample of code that contains Python functions Komodo is not picking up with Ctrl+F8? I cannot reproduce this with my Komodo.
As for local variables taking some time to show up, there are a number of potential causes:
(1) Komodo will only autocomplete them after the first three characters are typed.
(2) Komodo is currently indexing your project so there might be some lag now, but it should clear up later.
(3) 250ms is too slow for you. You can change it to be shorter by going to “Edit > Preferences”, “Code Intelligence”, select “Show All Settings” at the bottom left, then change the “Show completions after X msecs” preference. Note if you change it to something really short, you may experience some lag when you type rapidly.
The Ctrl+F8 functionality is very crude and simply won’t catch all functions for all use-cases. I’ve said this a while ago but it seems it slipped by: we need to remove this from Komodo Edit as stuff like this is better maintained as a separate userscript.
I would recommend you give Komodo IDE a shot as it does this type of stuff much better.
Found the relevant bug, I’ve marked it as priority so it doesn’t get bumped again:
I have also found this error in file : pystderr.log
[2015-11-04 17:29:29,094] [ERROR] codeintel.komodo.KoCodeIntelManager: Error reading data from codeintel
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo Edit 9\lib\mozilla\components\koCodeIntel.py”, line 1166, in run
ch = self.pipe.read(1)
File “C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo Edit 9\lib\mozilla\python\komodo\win32_named_pipe.py”, line 212, in read
WindowsError: [Error 109] The pipe has been ended.
This will not be fixed, we’ll be removing the functionality from edit as it is hacky and crude to begin with. You can easily copy/paste it into a userscript of your own and edit it as needed. Here is a sample userscript:
var language = require("ko/views").current().get('koDoc').languageObj;
var re = "";
if (language.name == "Python")
re = /^[ ]*?(def\s+[^\(]+\([^\)]*?\):|class\s+[^:]*?:)/.toString().slice(1,-1);
re = /^[ |\t]*?(?:([\w|\.|_]*?)\s*=\s*function|function\s*([\w|\_]*?)|([\w|\_]*?)\s*:\s*function).*?$/.toString().slice(1,-1);
var namedBlockDescription = language.namedBlockDescription;
if (re == null || re == '') return;
var findSvc = Cc["@activestate.com/koFindService;1"].getService(Ci.koIFindService);
// save some find options
var patternType, caseSensitivity, searchBackward, matchWord;
patternType = findSvc.options.patternType;
caseSensitivity = findSvc.options.caseSensitivity;
searchBackward = findSvc.options.searchBackward;
matchWord = findSvc.options.matchWord;
findSvc.options.patternType = Ci.koIFindOptions.FOT_REGEX_PYTHON;
findSvc.options.caseSensitivity = Ci.koIFindOptions.FOT_SENSITIVE;
findSvc.options.searchBackward = false;
findSvc.options.matchWord = false;
var context = Cc["@activestate.com/koFindContext;1"]
context.type = Ci.koIFindContext.FCT_CURRENT_DOC;
ko.find.findAll(window, context, re.toString(), namedBlockDescription);
// restore saved find options
findSvc.options.patternType = patternType;
findSvc.options.caseSensitivity = caseSensitivity;
findSvc.options.searchBackward = searchBackward;
findSvc.options.matchWord = matchWord;
To get the currently configured regex for a file open in Komodo you can execute the following in the console:
Again, this functionality will be stripped in a future version (probably Komodo 10), as it does not make sense as a native feature, at least not in its current shape. We may instead just include this as a toolbox sample item.
(from the start of the line, skipping whitespace, require the line to have 'def ’ or 'class ‘, then any amount of arbitrary stuff, then end in ‘:’, ignoring trailing spaces’)
I suppose you can write definitions that don’t match this, as I’m new to python.
BUT, while working that out, I found out that the real problem with the default search seems to be that if RE searching is disabled, it fails. Always.. So, open the find dialog, click on that star icon to enable RE matching, and ctrl-f8 works as intended.
Not sure why, nathanr’s post of the code looks like it is supposed to enable RE matching.