Issues upgrading to 11

Hi guys,

why do you release a software which is not thoroughly tested? We are not your beta-tester!

Just installed v11 to check out if at least some of the problems of v10 were solved but i can’t use it. It was just 5 minutes of trying to work and i definitely have to change back to the old version. So my “Trial” is expiring without beeing able to use, thanks for it!

Short excerpt of problems within my first minutes of working with it:

• At installation none of my current preferences (v10) were transferred to the new installation. Had to fight through the whole customizing and setting dialogs until i saw that:
  • Color Picker is not working. There are just 2 empty grey fields without any function
  • Then i decided to move my “current open files tab” to the right and restarted and voila!:
  • Everything was in its initial stage. Cool!

I didn’t want to test any further as i’ve completely lost interest to play beta tester anymore. Do you have no quality control in your company to just test the basic functionality?

Regards,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Before I get to answering your points raised can I please ask you to adjust your tone. No one is obligating you to buy Komodo 11, if you don’t like it do not buy it. But more importantly, we’re all just people here. Please consider we are all just doing our job and while you may not like this iteration due to some bugs you are experiencing this is still the culmination of a lot of work for us, a little bit of respect would be appreciated.

That said, to your points:

At installation none of my current preferences (v10) were transferred to the new installation. Had to fight through the whole customizing and setting dialogs until i saw that:

This is normal, Komodo only inherits certain Preferences between major versions. This is exactly to ensure stability between upgrades.

Color Picker is not working. There are just 2 empty grey fields without any function

I am unable to reproduce this, I would definitely appreciate a bug report if you can. Unfortunately this is a real part of any software product, bugs happen.

Then i decided to move my “current open files tab” to the right and restarted and voila!:
Everything was in its initial stage. Cool!

This is a known limitation which has not been addressed yet in V11, it’s not a new issue. We’ll likely get to it soon, just not in this release.

Just wanted to drop a remark on the colorpicker.
@petewulf did you might have the RGBA Colorpicker addon installed in Komodo 10?

There is also already a issue reported for the colorpicker:

Are you hitting the same issue?

@nathanr if you had installed the RGBA Colorpicker in Komodo X, it is setting the pref colorpicker_cid to @babobski.com/rgbaColorPicker;1.
Only when you now update to Komodo 11 the pref still exist, failing to load the RGBA colorpicker.
I reported this, but closed the issue, because I thought it would be my cup of tea.

But can you guys restore the colorpicker_cid pref when updating to Komodo 11?
I noticed I can fix the issue by restoring it manually by running the following code in the console to restore the pref:

ko.prefs.setStringPref('colorpicker_cid', '@activestate.com/koColorPicker;1')

Hi nathanr,

sorry for the harsh words, i was a bit in rage because there were so many problems in v10 and they seem to continue in v11. I also know that you guys try to give your best to produce a good software - and errors happen and i don’t want to blame you guys for that.
I knew this product since version 3 and i also know that is has potential. It was the switch to v9 and especially v10 since when komodo seems to struggle. I believe that you can make this product great again, thats why i haven’t switched to another editor.

@babobski
There is no addon entry in my packages list. Its a completely fresh installation with just the build in system packages. I have a screenshot below of the problem:

Apropos packages/addons: I’m confused about these 2 words, whats the difference between a package and an addon?
When i go to number 5 in commando (packages), i can:

1 ) + Addon
8) Manage Packages

Is a package just an installed addon? If so, why can’t they have the same name? This is confusing to me.
Overall i have to say that commando has made some good steps forward in usability compared to the version before.

Regards,
Daniel

Add-on != package. Userscript is a package, add-on is a package, color scheme is a package.

Could you share your log file after opening the color picker? (Help - Troubleshooting - View log file).

At installation none of my current preferences (v10) were transferred to the new installation. Had to fight through the whole customizing and setting dialogs until i saw that:

Well, we need a way to migrate our servers and settings over. Nothing gets migrated over between versions. So we have to spend over 24 hours setting this up. You go against your word on your web conferences on claiming you can set it up in 15 minutes. Some of us actually have work to do and we work on enterprise systems. Now I am going to be down for another 24 hours and I haven’t slept in over a day.

No one is obligating you to buy Komodo 11

We are forced to because none of the bugs ever get fixed in the previous versions, I reported hundreds of them and never got a response back. Komodo 10 crashes every 45 minutes for me. I don’t care what you think, but drag and drop support is a need. There are many free software’s out there that do a lot of this. I am just a loyal paying customer and I actually do like where this software is headed and the features and capabilities, it’s just extremely buggy. Yes, I do like to have the latest supported software. I don’t want to run something from 1934 that doesn’t work with the newest technologies that I develop with and enjoy. Nothing directly against you, it’s a great software package, it just has issues that need to be fixed, one of them being our configuration and settings.

That shouldn’t be the case, Komodo should be copying over the majority of your Preferences, including your servers. Are you upgrading from version 10 or an earlier version?

All our bugs are triaged and responded to if more information is needed. If this is not the case please bring it to my attention.

Are you using version 10.2.3?

I’m not sure what this is referring to exactly. We support drag and drop in most places.

I’d be happy to work with you on this, as I said settings should be copied over. If you can answer my questions we can take it from there. I apologise for the inconvenience.

That shouldn’t be the case, Komodo should be copying over the majority of your Preferences, including your servers. Are you upgrading from version 10 or an earlier version?

I am using 10.2.3. Nothing got migrated over. Please tell me what exact files need to be copied over, it’s better to have a clean configuration folder and copy the files needed over.

I reported hundreds of them and never got a response back.

It was through the crash reporter utility, I must send dozens every week for the past few months.

Are you using version 10.2.3?

Yes, latest one. Oh, and the first time you check for updates it fails in 10. Not sure about 11 since I can’t use it.

I’m not sure what this is referring to exactly. We support drag and drop in most places.

Yup, I know Komodo IDE isn’t a FTP uploader… but it is because when you save files it uses FTP/SFTP. I am talking about dragging a plugin from local to FTP server for my project. The issue is is the need to use a third-party FTP program to copy over my code files, defeats the purpose of coding in Komodo IDE if it doesn’t have “Web Server” capabilities.

I’d be happy to work with you on this, as I said settings should be copied over. If you can answer my questions we can take it from there. I apologise for the inconvenience.

I made a backup of my configuration before I copied over my v10. I will show you what transferred. Maybe the servers did? But, nothing else did. Let me check.

I guess the servers transferred over, so that is a huge relief.

Here are other issues:

Theme settings/Layout, Show menu bar did not transfer: http://prntscr.com/gq1y74

Update Fails: http://prntscr.com/gq1yz5

Not Sure if Classic_New is a theme from you guys? But when I select it like I had before, it locks my system up and looks like this: http://prntscr.com/gq20eb

Same thing happens to all the other themes in Komodo except Bright. Do you guys have themes/schemes we can use other than Bright? I can’t use this new Interface, it’s super complex and there isn’t even a menu bar.

Your files are located here:

http://docs.komodoide.com/Troubleshooting/Where-does-Komodo-keep-settings-data

The files I would copy over are:

• schemes
  • tools
  • XRE/extensions
  • XRE/cert8.db
  • XRE/extensions.ini
  • XRE/extensions.json
  • XRE/key3.db
  • XRE/palces.sqlite
  • XRE/pluginreg.dat
  • XRE/prefs.js
  • XRE/secmod.db
  • classic.less
  • colors.less
  • interfaceChrome.less
  • prefs.xml
  • toolbox.sqlite
  • userChrome.less

Make sure Komodo isnt running when you do this.

Note none of this should be necessary, and in fact doing this can still cause issues. That said I understand you might want to just get on with it, so this could be a good workaround for you if you do not wish to troubleshoot.

While those are indeed very helpful (especially with comments) they are not bug reports, we tend not to respond to them individually as they are only useful for analysing the “bigger picture”. We are no more likely to respond to those than Microsoft would be if you send them a crash report.

That said, could you give me something to search for in our crash reports, eg. your email or a comment you entered when you submitted a crash report? I have no way of telling what report came from you otherwise.

What’s your platform? macOS?

Ahh I see. Yeah that’s quite a bit more complex than simply handling a drag/drop event. I believe we have a ticket open for this, but it is frankly not a big priority given that Publishing addresses this use-case better. Have you tried out Publishing?

Theme settings/Layout, Show menu bar did not transfer: Screenshot by Lightshot

This is normal for a major upgrade, although your icon colors look strange. Please try switching back and forth your theme so that the UI is fully refreshed.

Not Sure if Classic_New is a theme from you guys? But when I select it like I had before, it locks my system up and looks like this: Screenshot by Lightshot

That’s not one of ours. We maintain a “Classic” theme, but not a “Classic_New”.

That’s very strange. Could you see if you can reproduce any of this through Help > Troubleshooting > Restart in Safe-mode.

Note you can enable the menubar by right click the toolbar.

@petewulf with a fresh install you are talking about Komdo 11 or 10?
For the issue to occur you don’t need to have any packages/addons installed.
If you had previously installed the RGBA colorpicker in Komdo 10 it is copying over the “colorpicker” preference to komodo 11.

But if you did not installed the RGBA colorpicker in Komodo 11 it is failing to load the colorpicker, because the preference is still referring the RGBA colorpicker.
In Windows it is failing back to it’s system default colorpicker and I’m guessing that you have the same issue only on a different platform.

You can see witch preference is set by running the following snippet in you’re console:

ko.prefs.getStringPref('colorpicker_cid')

If it returns @babobski.com/rgbaColorPicker;1 the RGBA colorpicker is still set, or @activestate.com/koColorPicker;1 for the default colorpicker.

If this is the issue, you can restore the preference by running this code in you’re console.

ko.prefs.setStringPref('colorpicker_cid', '@activestate.com/koColorPicker;1')

Or else we have to keep digging ( maybe something in you’re error log? )

Sorry, I have been talking on the other thread about some of this.

The servers did get transferred, but I am going to hold on to this list to make a sync system for this. Thank you for that list.

I kind of figured about the Crash Reporter tool, it was just frustrating because it happened all the time, and I think it was just something that the IDE didn’t like in the config or something, some sort of error from dropbox syncing, not sure. But it was mike@mjbcode.com. I am curious to know what the issue is, but I am using IDE 11 now with a fresh data folder with only what was needed to migrate over so I am assuming I should be good there.

I used to be an Apple fan. Went from Windows then to Apple. I use the LTS versions of Xubuntu now (16.0.4), you should be happy that I use Linux and I am too, otherwise I would have never have spent months searching for an incredible IDE for Linux (Komodo IDE).

This is normal for a major upgrade, although your icon colors look strange. Please try switching back and forth your theme so that the UI is fully refreshed.

This was because they were old themes that I needed to wipe out from schemes folder. The other thread mentioned it. This is working now, although I just need to make some minor tweaks to the themes.

That’s not one of ours. We maintain a “Classic” theme, but not a “Classic_New”.

I think that one was from IDE 9 and then I created a new one with new to update some options. It’s deleted now.

As far as FTP uploading, yes I use Publishing for all my major projects, it’s difficult for the smaller projects. I understand it is a lower priority. Well, on a positive note, I don’t work too much on those hundreds of small projects anymore and I basically require my clients to use WHM/cPanel of some sort so I can just upload there. Always a great feature to have though.

Alright, thanks for the update @mjbrancato :slight_smile: Reading through it it sounds like you got everything sorted. Any further issues we can pick up on the other thread, sounds like that one is a bit more targeted.

Be sure to let us know if you’re still seeing that crash by the way, that doesn’t sound good.

@babobski

Looks like it is the default color switcher, the return was:

String “@activestate.com/koColorPicker;1”

Here is the content from my error log immediately after opening the Color-Picker:

[2017-09-27 00:57:37,262] [INFO] Startup: Welcome to Komodo IDE 11.0.0 build 90668 (platform win32-x86, running on Windows post2012Server version 6.3.9600)
[2017-09-27 00:57:37,262] [INFO] Startup: C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\komodo.exe built on Tue Sep 19 14:50:13 2017
[2017-09-27 00:57:37,848] [WARNING] console-logger: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create (1) in resource://gre/modules/Preferences.jsm:381
[2017-09-27 00:57:37,851] [WARNING] console-logger: Trying to re-register CID ‘{4e5c9764-d465-4fef-ae24-8032f257d174}’ already registered by file:///C:/Users/daniel/AppData/Local/ActiveState/KomodoIDE/11.0/XRE/extensions/koextensiondev@activestate.com/components/pyShell.py. (1) in file:///C:/Users/daniel/AppData/Local/ActiveState/KomodoIDE/11.0/XRE/extensions/koextensiondev@activestate.com/components/component.manifest:3
[2017-09-27 00:57:37,875] [WARNING] root: [object Object].logging has been converted to a CommonJS module; use require(“ko/logging”) instead (since Komodo 9.0.0a1).
@chrome://komodo/content/komodo.js:15:1

[2017-09-27 00:57:38,203] [ERROR] console-logger: bad script XDR magic number (0) in :0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 0, in

[2017-09-27 00:57:39,344] [WARNING] ko.widgets: Could not restore widget unittest-widget
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,358] [WARNING] ko.widgets: Could not restore widget symbolbrowser-widget
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,405] [DEBUG] ko.launch: versioncheck on http://docs.komodoide.com/changelog/11
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,540] [INFO] koInitService: Adding pre startup service for ‘koFileStatusService’: ‘@activestate.com/koFileStatusService;1’
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,680] [INFO] komodospellchecker: Spell checker loaded.
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,680] [INFO] komodospellchecker: Using dictionary en-US
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,713] [INFO] elastic_tabstops: Elastic tabstops loaded.
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,727] [INFO] codeintel/process: Starting CodeIntel
[2017-09-27 00:57:39,727] [DEBUG] codeintel/process: PYTHONPATH: C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\python..\lib\python2.7;C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\support\dbgp\pythonlib;C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\extensions\codeintel@activestate.com\content..\pylib\codeintel\lib;C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 11\lib\mozilla\extensions\codeintel@activestate.com\content..\pylib\codeintel\env\Lib\site-packages
[2017-09-27 00:57:40,898] [WARNING] console-logger: XUL box for tab element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. (1) in file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/koLessProtocolHandler.js:154
[2017-09-27 00:57:40,898] [WARNING] console-logger: XUL box for tab element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. (1) in file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/koLessProtocolHandler.js:154
[2017-09-27 00:57:41,071] [WARNING] RefactoringLanguageServiceBase: Can’t find a refactoring service for SCSS
[2017-09-27 00:57:41,071] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘None’
[2017-09-27 00:57:41,196] [WARNING] console-logger: XUL box for tab element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. (1) in chrome://unittest/content/views/panel.xul:0
[2017-09-27 00:57:41,196] [WARNING] console-logger: XUL box for tab element contained an inline #text child, forcing all its children to be wrapped in a block. (1) in chrome://unittest/content/views/panel.xul:0
[2017-09-27 00:57:42,543] [INFO] koInitService: Adding pre startup service for ‘KoMemoryReporter’: ‘@activestate.com/koMemoryReporter;1’
[2017-09-27 00:57:42,543] [INFO] koInitService: Adding pre startup service for ‘koCommandmentService’: ‘@activestate.com/koCommandmentService;1’
[2017-09-27 00:57:42,559] [INFO] koInitService: Adding pre startup service for ‘koDBGPManager’: ‘@activestate.com/koDBGPManager;1’
[2017-09-27 00:57:42,759] [WARNING] console-logger: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create (1) in file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/ActiveState%20Komodo%20IDE%2011/lib/mozilla/components/koamAddonManager.js:138
[2017-09-27 00:57:43,321] [DEBUG] ko.launch: Response: http://docs.komodoide.com/__omnigollum__/auth/github?origin=%2Fcreate%2Fchangelog%2F11 (404)
[2017-09-27 00:57:43,321] [DEBUG] ko.launch: versioncheck on http://docs.komodoide.com/changelog/110
[2017-09-27 00:57:44,664] [DEBUG] ko.launch: Response: http://docs.komodoide.com/__omnigollum__/auth/github?origin=%2Fcreate%2Fchangelog%2F110 (404)
[2017-09-27 00:57:45,493] [DEBUG] codeintel/process: stdout:
port:52660

pid:7252

[2017-09-27 00:57:45,493] [INFO] codeintel/process: CodeIntel started on port 52660
[2017-09-27 00:57:45,493] [DEBUG] codeintel/process: Calling callbacks for: started, number: 1
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,671] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘Django XHTML Template’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,671] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘Django Text Template’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,671] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘Django Template’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,671] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘Laravel Blade Template’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,671] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘SGML’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,686] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘Django XML Template’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,686] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘Smarty Template’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,686] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘Django HTML Template’
[2017-09-27 00:57:50,686] [WARNING] koLanguage: Asked for unknown language: ‘UDL’
[2017-09-27 00:57:55,976] [WARNING] koScintillaSchemeService: scincolor was None
[2017-09-27 00:57:58,710] [WARNING] koScintillaSchemeService: scincolor was None
[2017-09-27 00:57:58,742] [ERROR] console-logger: TypeError: this.fields[field] is undefined (2) in chrome://komodo/content/dialogs/colorscheme.js:572
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “chrome://komodo/content/dialogs/colorscheme.js”, line 572, in

[2017-09-27 00:58:00,505] [WARNING] console-logger: Unknown property ‘foreground’. Declaration dropped. (1) in less://komodo/skin/colorpicker/colorpicker.less:12
[2017-09-27 00:58:00,536] [WARNING] console-logger: Expected color but found ‘#’. Error in parsing value for ‘background-color’. Declaration dropped. (1) in chrome://komodo/content/colorpicker/colorpicker.html:0
[2017-09-27 00:58:56,474] [WARNING] console-logger: Key event not available on GTK2: key=“u” modifiers=“control,shift” (1) in chrome://komodo/content/tail/tail.xul:0
[2017-09-27 00:58:56,474] [WARNING] console-logger: Key event not available on some keyboard layouts: key=“v” modifiers=“control,alt” (1) in chrome://komodo/content/tail/tail.xul:0

Looks like there is an error inside the code.

Are you able to just resize the color scheme window? Also, please try if it works under safe-mode: Help > Troubleshooting > Restart in Safe-mode.

@petewulf thanks for checking!
Tested it but I’m able to reproduce.

steps to reproduce

• open the colorscheme editor
  • Try to set a color

That’s all.
Looks like it try’s to adjust the height to it’s parent height or the height and width are already determined, before the colorpicker is loaded.

workaround

Noticed it is a resizable window, so you could resize it so it fit’s the buttons.
Also came op with a css fix you can paste in you’re color scheme ( colorscheme > interface > the custom less area on the right )

window[title="Color Picker"] {
	min-height: 500px;
	min-width: 320px;
}

It will then look oke again.

@nathanr when I disable the css and restart Komodo I cant reproduce the issue anymore.
Only when I now manually minimize the colorpicker window to the size as seen in the screenshot and close to colorpicker.
The next time I pick a color, the colorpicker stays small.

@babobski

You’re right, i can change the window size - completely not thought on trying that! Thanks for mentioning, that should fix it meanwhile.

Thanks guys! So is this only happening in the color scheme editor for you? Not in the main editor itself?

Props and up vote for your remarks Nathan. There is just no need for attitude in this context. So far, I’m liking the updates in 11. Sure, there are diff’s, and sure not everything came over. BFD. Is it one of the best ide’s around? Yep! So, buckle up everyone and let’s get some work done.

Thanks and shout out to the Dev Team.

Christopher

1 Like

@nathanr I tested this, but the colorpicker is also showing small in css files, not only in the color scheme editor.
I still have to download the latest release, will do it with a clean profile folder.
So I can test if I use the colorpicker first in a css file and then in the color scheme editor the issue also exist.