Feedback on Komodo IDE v10 "Let's Get Started"

Some questions and comments on the “Let’s Get Started” dialog in Komodo IDE v10 alpha, thinking about this from both the perspective of a user migrating from Komodo 9 and from that of someone new to Komodo:

• What are the icons in the upper right corner of the window? They look like a second set of window controls?

• What’s the purpose of the big open space below the control for selecting the color scheme?

• What is “classic mode”? What aspects of Komodo does this impact? It seems some way of telling (primarily migrating?) users what this does would help them know if it deals with aspects of the tool that they care about.

• What is the difference between the “Vi” and “_vi” keybindings, shown in the screenshot below? Are they both supposed to be listed?

This is a bug.

There should be a color scheme preview, but there’s a bug (already reported afaik)[quote=“rstewart, post:1, topic:2663”]
What is “classic mode”? What aspects of Komodo does this impact? It seems some way of telling (primarily migrating?) users what this does would help them know if it deals with aspects of the tool that they care about.
[/quote]

Probably the classic layout of buttons/panes/etc.[quote=“rstewart, post:1, topic:2663”]
What is the difference between the “Vi” and “_vi” keybindings, shown in the screenshot below? Are they both supposed to be listed?
[/quote]

Seems like _vi was imported from your 9.x profile.

“Probably” tells me that this really does need to be clarified.

Possible, but it seems unlikely as I don’t believe I have ever used Vi-like keybindings in Komodo.

And thanks for response on the first two; switching to Github for the rest of my feedback

AFAIK there is already a report about it.

I didn’t see one, so I noted it as part of Feedback on "Let's Get Started" window: Classic mode is not clear. what it means · Issue #1338 · Komodo/KomodoEdit · GitHub

1 Like

Most of these issues have been resolved thanks to the bugs @rstewart opened. Thanks Ron! :slight_smile:

I briefly checked komodo 10 and as I understood it is in the early stage of development, but will it have native look and feel in linux os?

The look and feel has been pretty much established at this point. If you want a native look and feel I recommend you play with the Pref > Appearance options. Particularly the classic / platform integration options.

I like what I see so far with version 10.
I know it’s a little thing, but I am loving the new icon.

One of the things I have found that niggles is in the Places view… the SCM icons overlap the file names

They have been replaced with coloring the label itself… Not sure why you’re seeing this.

Huh, yeah there shouldn’t be any trace of those icons. Could you zip up your profile folder and send it to support@activestate.com with a link to this thread? You can exclude the codeintel folder from the zip.

Hear, hear! Komodo icon stickers for everyone! (Seriously, that would make a great sticker…) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stickers giveaway? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oooh… I want a sticker :slight_smile:

Damnit Ron! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

This is my new favorite post on the Komodo forums so far!

2 Likes

Getting back on topic, I’ve also noticed how much faster v10 is.
Startup takes about half the time v9 takes. Project loading is markedly quicker.
Everything just seems more responsive.
I’m even starting to like the blue bar at the top :smirk:

Oh, and back to stickers… what about t-shirts??

I already have 3 t-shirts, 2 of them with old logos, 1 with ActiveState logo :stuck_out_tongue:

Not trying to say that I don’t want another one with the new logo!

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind a t-shirt myself.

@Mark_Oxley glad the performance gains aren’t going unnoticed :slight_smile: We’ve spend a considerable amount of time profiling and improving several aspects of Komodo.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Configuring PHPUnit in Komodo 10