Export preferences from Komodo Edit 7.1.3 to 8.5.3

Hi,
I need to migrate from Komodo Edit 7.1.3 on Windows XP to Komodo Edit 8.5.3 on Windows 7. I have set tons of settings and I would like to export them from old editor and import them in new one. How?

If above is not possible, is there some help like a list of preferences that I can create in macro like for example to disable start-up page by:

prefs.setBooleanPref("show_start_page",0)

and then run a macro?
Thanks

You should be able to simply copy over your profile directory, which for Windows users is located at `
C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\ActiveState\Komodo[IDE|Edit]<version>``

I am getting an “unexpected error” when posting to the forum - it looks to me there is some special character in there or something… So I have created print screen of my reply. Please see bellow image: https://i.imgur.com/fnUbR7A.png

Are there any other version folders under KomodoEdit? eg. 8.0? Komodo inherits settings from the most recent profile folder. Note it might even inherit stuff from KomodoIDE if you ever installed that.

Also make sure that you are not running Komodo while you are copying over these folders.

No there is no other folder beside “7.1” in there. I have never installed KomodoIDE. This is fresh new install of Windows 7. I defenetly close Komodo Edit before copying profile to new machine. And when Komodo Edit started new folder was created “8.5” without migratting any of the settings from “7.1” folder. As I have written before I have closed down Komodo Edit again and deleted “8.5” folder and started Komodo Edit again, no migration was performed. Also tried (after closing Komodo Edit) to delete “8.5” and renamed “7.1” to “8.5” and still no migration was performed. Is there maybe some limitations that Komodo Edit 8.5 does not migrate from too old “7.1” folder?

Ah, something that didn’t register for me before - you were using Windows XP. In Windows XP the profile folders are stored under C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\ActiveState\Komodo[IDE|Edit]\<version>, is this where you were copying the 7.1 folder from already or were you looking in the above mentioned location?

I was coping profile (folder and all of subfolders and files) from Windows XP path: C:\Documents and Settings<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\ActiveState\KomodoEdit\7.1 to another computer with Windows 7 to path: C:\Users<user>\AppData\Local\ActiveState\KomodoEdit\7.1

Are you certain that the folder you are copying holds the preferences you are expecting?

You could try just copying over prefs.xml from the profile folder, this holds most of your preferences.

Ahhhhhhh, I have found out that I made a mistake… I zipped the “7.1” folder on Windows XP and unzipped the folder on Windows 7, but zip produced the following path: [komodo_path]/7.1/7.1/[files_and_folders] --> so double 7.1 folder. I have since manually migrated all of the setting - it was a pain, but…

Thanks for help.

Ah that explains it, I was sure we had to be missing something obvious cause Komodo is pretty straight forward about inheriting preferences.

Glad you figured it out, sorry it was too late though :wink: