Disappointed in Komodo 11

Does your symbols pane show up in Help > Troubleshooting > Restart in Safe-mode?

It did under 11.0 nut I have not tried safe mode with 11.0.1

Does not appear in safe mode either.All I get in the right pane is a toolbox icon and a listing of things like File Templates, Folder Templates, etc. The Select Symbol link appears as part of the file name, but the list of symbols is not alphabetized and for many of my libraries is thus nearly useless .

How can I get around this. It is a PITA and is eating into my productivity on a daily basis.

I restarted komodo in safe mode as stated in my previous post. The symbol table is still missing. Even worse, when I restarted in normal mode it started crashing again. It now crashes often and I am trying to figure out why.

Hi, in the symbol browser, click on the gear icon and ensure that “Use Legacy Parser” is unchecked.

As I have said several times, the symbol browser is missing altogether. The only thing I get when I open the right pane is the toolbox icon and the gear icon there has nothing related to Use Legacy Parser.

After I upgraded to 11.0.1 at least the constant crashing stopped. Now it crashes several times during a working day. I have been a komodo user for years, but this version has really been a burden.

This is really intolerable. I like Komodo and have a lot of time invested in learning how to use it and integrating it into my workflow, but I am now spending more time trying to get it to work reliably than I am actually developing code.

Everything was fine with Komodo 8, but I upgraded to 10 and it crashed occasionally, I upgraded to 11 in hopes that the crashing was fixed. It was not. When 11.0.1 came out I installed it and the crashing stopped. I still could not get the symbol table to show up except when in Safe mode, but at least the crashes stopped.

At the suggestion of one of your techs I tried safe mode with 11.0.1 and I could again get the symbol table.

When I went back to the regular mode the crashing came back. I have been working for the last 3 hours and it has crashed at least 10 times.

Most of the suggestions from your tech staff have been so cryptic that I have not been able to apply them, and often the techs are not even reading my comments. For example, when I could not see the symbol table they suggested I switch to “legacy parse mode.” Since I had repeatedly said I cannot see the symbol pane at all, I obviously cannot set the preferences therein.

In safe mode I did find the Legacy setting. When I tried it the parser found no symbols in my code.

This has been going on ever since 11 was released and I am very unhappy with the level of support I have received, and the crashing is ever present.

I tried reinstalling 11.0.1, but it would not let me do so unless I completely uninstall the current version. I would like to avoid this so I do not have to reestablish all the preferences I have already set up.

I hate to switch to someone else’s IDE, but the current situation is completely intolerable. Is there anything I can do to figure out what is the cause of the problem?

FYI, I am running Apache on a windows 10 64 bit system with a fast processor, tons of spare disc space, and 12 GB of ram.

Hi @DEklof, given the complexity of your issue and the fact that safe mode appears to work without problems I would recommend resetting your settings. To do this follow the instructions here: http://docs.activestate.com/komodo/11/manual/trouble.html#completely-reset-your-settings

Successfully tried the reset option. Symbol pane now works as it should. Thank you!

Using Komodo today and will report back on crash issue.

1 Like