CSS Beautify settings?

Code > Format > Document Using > CSS Beautify is available to tidy up CSS files. Is there a way to modify its behavior (e.g., indent four spaces instead of two)?

Hi, it appears the CSS beautifier is hooked up to use your indentation preferences, so try changing from 2 spaces to 4 spaces and then run the beautifier again.

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned that I had already verified that my CSS indentation preferences are set to 4 spaces.

Perhaps the “Allow file contents to override Tab and Indentation settings” is causing some interference. Try unchecking that.

Excellent idea. And it reminded me of a page I saw a long while back.

What is still puzzling to me is that the page claims that the existing file contents is the most important factor (Editor > Indentation > “Allow file contents to override Tab and Indentation settings”), but my testing gets puzzling results.

In my test case, the CSS itself has indentation of two spaces. So I set Edit > Current File Preferences > Editor > Indentation to three spaces, and left Edit > Preferences > Editor > Indentation at four.

1. When “Allow file contents to override Tab and Indentation settings” is enabled, then I would think CSS Beautify would keep it at two spaces (using the file’s contents), but it changes the code to three spaces.
  2. When “Allow file contents to override Tab and Indentation settings” is disabled, then I would think CSS Beautify would set it to three spaces (using Current File Preferences), but it keeps it at two spaces.