Behavior of Komodo 8.5.3 when debugging PHP

I’m looking for a bit of help/suggestions. I have upgraded from Komodo 5 to Komodo 8.5.3 and am working with PHP v5.3.x. I have upgraded the xdebug extension to the latest version available from ActiveState. I am running the Apache/PHP framework on a Mac (Mavericks) using a MacPorts installation on the local machine.

I have dug around quite a bit on the active state web site and found a few things that I thought would help (upgrading the xdebug extension) but did not.

1. Variable data display is showing a single character of the variable value in Komodo 8.5.3
  2. Debug Output behavior is annoying and in the end slowing things down
  3. When sitting at a break point I will often edit code. Events are occurring in the IDE where those events cause the cursor to jump to a different position.

Variable data values displayed in the Debug pane for Komodo 8.5.3 are 1 character in length in the display but much larger in reality

In the above image the values are all much longer than 1 character.

How can I change this setting?

Debug Output pane behavior is annoying and in the end slowing things down

When the code is running the ‘Debug Output’ panes will:
a. Breed like rabbits (I often get 5)
b. Data is displayed in the Debug Output’ panes that I simply don’t need
c. Komodo changes focus. I select the Debug: xxx.php file and Komodo will jump from the selected pane to a debug output pane. I reselect, it jumps.
c. Since Komodo is receiving and displaying the data Komodo is slow as compared to v5

How can I stop the ‘Debug Output’ panes from being displayed/used?

When sitting at a break point I will often edit code. Events are occurring in the IDE where those events cause the cursor to jump to a different position. The net effect is fragments of text appearing within the code causing errors.

This appears to be related to #2. When I’m editing code and Komodo 8.5.3 is sitting at a breakpoint the cursor will jump around in the editor. So I’ll end up typing a few characters on another line.

It appears that something is happening in the background but I’m not sure what.

The net effect is fragments of text appearing within the code causing errors. I then have to delete the fragments and return to original text entry point.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. I really liked using Komodo 5 but the current problems with Komodo 8.5.3 have me rethinking my IDE choice moving forward.

• Gappster

I’ll try to help resolve your questions.

** 1. Variables only showing start of the value string in the debugger**

I’m not sure why that would be - it’s not something I’ve seen before. Just wonder if mouse over on the value changes anything, or resizing the Value tree header column?

** 2. Debug Output pane **

A new pane is created for each PHP request (a debug session) - and this can be many for an AJAX application.

It’s not possible (yet) in Komodo to hide the output. Something we are examing for future releases is to have the option of disabling output for the debugger (i.e. when the debugger connection is first made, or from a preference).

When you “select the Debug: XXX.php file” - Komodo should be changing the focus to the file being debugged (i.e. to editor file XXX.php) in that session.

** 3. Editor jumping **

If your using the editor minimap - try disabling the minimap.

File jumping shouldn’t occur - unless one of your debugging sessions has been running and has now hit a breakpoint?