Poor performance on Windows 10

careyh, I don’t think I saw the same sluggish response in safe mode but it did crash so I can’t say for sure if it would have. I did notice it steadily increasing in memory usage in safe mode. Once it hit approximately 400 M it crashed.

I’ll turn off those options and see what happens.

EDIT: Also can you tell me exactly how to find those options so we are on the same page?

• Prefs > Code Intelligence > Enable automatic autocomplete …
  • Prefs > Syntax & Spell Checking > Enable background syntax checking …
  • Prefs > Source Code Control
  • Prefs > Editor > Confirmation Dialogs > Detect when files are changed

narthanr, I couldn’t find the Source Code Control option but if it’s for integration with git/svn I’m not using it. I turned all the others off.

@Meatwad, My bad, I forgot you’re using Edit. SCC integration isn’t included in Edit.

Let us know how it goes with the other settings.

• Carey

Ok, I’ve turned off those options. I’m at 200 M memory usage today after about 48 hours running. I’ll post back again in a day or two to tell where I’m at.

You may want to watch the progress here as well:

• Carey

Ok guys I’m seeing the same behavior again after turning off the options listed above. I did another memory analysis for you. Right now memory usage is averaging about 430 M.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1vAxtlTn0TGVGZHOEdoQWp0Wm8&usp=sharing

What are your system specs?

430MB of memory is nothing abnormal for an IDE. Though that itself should not cause any slowdowns. Memory you either have or you don’t, an application that uses a lot of memory does not make it a slow application although that can often be a correlation.

Is this enough information for you?

Certainly, that at least tells us that this isn’t a hardware problem (unless you’re running a ton of other apps, which we’ll assume you’re not).

To clarify though, after disabling those prefs are you still noticing any actual slowdowns or are you simply going by memory usage and the crash?

@nathanr, yes I’m noticing the delay when I type but it is not as severe as I noticed previously. I’ve also noticed a delay when scrolling up and down but again it isn’t as bad after turning off the preferences mentioned above.

Can you give us a sense of how significant this delay is?

I would estimate that I type approximately 40 words per minute. At that speed I occasionally out-type some of the smart auto-complete features. Even after I turned off all the options suggested I see Komodo is still auto-matching my opening bracket with a closing bracket. Typing at my normal speed sometimes Komodo doesn’t keep up and match my opening bracket with a closing one. As far as timing I would say the letters appearing onscreen can slow down by about a half second between when I type them and when I see them. But it is not constant and is much less pronounced now that I’ve turned those options off.

Half a second is a lot. The most I’ve ever noticed is likely under 100ms.

So you cannot reproduce this in safe mode correct? Is the project that you work with large in size? Or perhaps the files themselves are large in size?

@nathanr, I don’t think I saw the delay happen in safe mode. I’m not sure what you would define as a large project. I have never used the “Project” functionality in Komodo. I’ve always just directly opened files. Typically what I type in are Java and python source files that are less than 500 lines.

What do you have open in your Places panel when you are coding? If this contains a large directory structure then this could potential cause slowdowns.

Have a look at the Projects screencast to familiarize yourself with the concept, it might proof useful for you as well as resolve your slowdowns:

http://komodoide.com/screencasts/projects-and-what-theyre-for/

@nathanr, I’ll give that a shot and see if it makes a difference. I’ll leave the preferences mentioned above off for a few days and report back. Can you give me some more information on how to use the project functionality? I watched the screencast and the presenter referenced how to store the project file outside of the directory structure of the code directory but did not explain how to do this? Can this be donw?

FYI, Komodo locked up today opening a file so I had to kill it.

You might want to consider doing a profile reset (reset all your settings). Use Help > Troubleshooting > Reset Everything. Komodo just locking up is not normal.

As for setting a custom project path, check out the project preferences via Project > Project Preferences. There will be a field there called “Project base directory” which is the directory that your project files are in.

Sounds like a good idea, nathanr. I will do the reset and see if it I still experience all this.

Looks like I’m still experiencing some of this issue. It’s not as bad as before I started with a fresh profile.