Loading project in new window from command line

Hi!

I am trying to load/open a project in a new window from the command line (using Wind 10/64). I thought this would do the trick (using a shortcut):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 10\komodo.exe" -n "d:\filepath\myproject.komodoproject"

This seems to open the project in a new window, but with no files loaded (I mean the files loaded the last time I had this project opened). The “file area” is empty, there is just one tab (“New Tab”). Why is it so?

If I open the same project from inside Komodo using Project > Open Project In New Window… it opens the project with all the files last opened.

So is it possible from the command line to open a project in a new window with all the files last opened?

/Bengt

Hi, at least on Linux I can open projects in new windows with all previously open files restored. I get a dialog box that asks me this. Please check your Edit > Preferences > Workspace > Opening and Closing Projects setting in order to ensure you do not have “Open no files” selected.

Thanks for info! But I have “Open recent files” choosen. So why doesn’t command line work in the same way as Project > Open Project In New Window…?

I don’t know. It might be a Windows-only issue. @careyh can you reproduce the problem on Windows?

@Bellul, it sounds like it should work. Can you reproduce the issue then share your logs?

• Carey

@careyh, Where do I find the logs?

Help - Troubleshooting - View log file.

Here it is:

[2016-12-20 10:02:57,970] [WARNING] root: ko.logging has been converted to a CommonJS module; use require("ko/logging") instead (since Komodo 9.0.0a1).
    @chrome://komodo/content/komodo.js:15:1

[2016-12-20 10:02:58,520] [WARNING] keybindings: [Ctrl+0] was used for 'cmd_goToQuickBookmark_0', overriding to use 'cmd_fontZoomReset'
[2016-12-20 10:02:58,947] [INFO] komodospellchecker: Spell checker loaded.
[2016-12-20 10:02:58,947] [INFO] komodospellchecker: Using dictionary en-US
[2016-12-20 10:02:59,015] [ERROR] koScopeDocs-Py: Could not find cix for ext
[2016-12-20 10:02:59,015] [ERROR] koScopeDocs-Py: Could not find cix for html5
[2016-12-20 10:02:59,032] [INFO] elastic_tabstops: Elastic tabstops loaded.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,005] [WARNING] prefs: The 'timestamp' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,006] [WARNING] prefs: The 'timestamp' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,012] [WARNING] prefs: The 'timestamp' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,180] [WARNING] prefs: The 'find-folders' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,180] [WARNING] prefs: The 'find-includeFiletypes' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,181] [WARNING] prefs: The 'find-excludeFiletypes' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,697] [WARNING] prefs: The 'timestamp' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,697] [WARNING] prefs: The 'timestamp' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.
[2016-12-20 10:03:01,698] [WARNING] prefs: The 'timestamp' preference has changed while the pref window was open. If you get this message, a pref panel is incorrectly modifying prefs and the modified value will be lost.

If I close all Komodo windows and then click on my shortcut, it first opens the last closed project with it’s files and then opens the project referenced in the shortcut with no files.

I installed addon “Less 2.7.1 Compiler for Komodo Edit/Ide” (the first addon I ever have installed in Komod), which did crash Komodo (and black(!) screen in Windows 10 - with a “Program Error” dialog box and then unresponsive Windows - whao, I can’t recall the last time this happened to me in Windows, it must be years ago! I had to force a restart of the computer!). This is off topic: is this common when you install addons from inside Komodo?

Anyway, i decided to uninstall and re-install Komodo. And voila: now it works to open a project in a new window from the command line (using a shortcut). I am pretty sure that I haven’t made any special preferences changes this time compared to the last full install in august. It seems that Komodo’s stability is not rock solid.

Thanks for your help!

Please report this to the Addon maintainer:

• Carey

/cc @babobski.

@Bellul did this happend during the restart proces? And what kind of “program error” did you see?

@babobski This happened first right after install, I then closed the Komodo window and restarted Komodo. I tried restart the computer and then start Komodo with the same result. So yes, it did happen during Komodo (re)start process.

The program error dialog in Win 10/64 do say the following (if I translate from Swedish to English):

BtToast.exe - Program error
The program couldn’t be started correctly (0xc0000142). Click on Ok to close the program.

If I clicked on the OK button, nothing visible happened: the dialog remained and Windows became unresponsive.

When I asked technical support at ActiveState they told me the following:

The error message is saying that BtToast is crashing. BtToast is Broadcom’s Bluetooth software. If you disable bluetooth, does Komodo then come up?

I didn’t test disabling bluetooth, since I decided to uninstall/reinstall Komodo before they came back with there answer. What has bluetooth to do with your compiler??

In a later answer from ActiveState support, they say:

I found the compiler and played with it a bit. I don’t see the same problem you do but adding it causes my Win 7 system to hang.

I can’t say I am very interested in trying the compiler again. :wink:

I had this problem a while ago at my home computer, when installing different addons it will sometimes crash to black screen of death ( black screen with only a mouse ), I was also suffering of a high disk usage in Windows 10.

When I searched for the black screen of death or the high disk usage the recommended fix is to update you’re drivers. I updated my drivers and both problems where solved, I now never get stuck in a black screen of death and my disk usage is normal again.

You’re btToast.exe error looks to me like you’re also suffering of a driver problem, so my first recommendation would be to update you’re drivers and see if the problem still occurs as i think it is not a Komodo or addon problem but a Windows 10 problem.

@babobski, thansk for info! Maybe I will try this later.