Direction of Komodo

Of course that’s one part of it - as I said, familiarity impacts productivity, “don’t fix it if it ain’t broke” etc. But I really think that visual cues are useful. Take multi-level default menus Peter griped about - they really look like dense columns of newspaper print on cheap recycled pulp - two shades of grey on another shade of grey, with no separator between the main menu and submenu. You said that icons would make it too cluttered - I agree, but more contrast and clearly delineated submenu wouldn’t.

I understand you didn’t invent this - I am finally getting used to Win 10 UI. OK, at first glance it does look “cleaner”. But, how does one know which window has focus? Well, one doesn’t, except by the merest hint of a shadow it “casts” on those below it. And if the window has panes, it is almost impossible to tell them apart from proper windows. The same is happening with web sites - light grey on even lighter grey - I often have to select the text to be able to read it (or use one of those “reader” browser plug-ins that remove all clutter and use sensible fonts and colors).

But enough of us grumpy old men complaining… :o)

(BTW, for the life of me I cannot find a way to enable code folding symbols. Folding (from View menu) works, but nice old intuitive symbols are not there. How do I get them back? )

Thanks!

To be clear I agree with just about everything you’ve said, but these annoyances are to a degree the nature of a brand new UI which doesn’t have years of polish behind it. That’s what’s ahead of us.

You can change the fold marking style via Preferences > Editor > Smart Editing > Folding.

See, that’s what we are talking about: I was perhaps ten times there, and didn’t notice “>” sign in front of “Edit”, indicating there are submenus there…

BTW, fold marks are turned on (I tried various), but I still don’t see them anywhere - shouldn’t they be next ot line numbers?

Thanks!

That’s what the bug tracker is for :slight_smile:

Also wondering if perhaps contrast issues is why you can’t see fold markers?

For what it’s worth, I too have issues with contrast in Komodo and we’ve been improving it as we go. I definitely do NOT prefer the previous design. I much rather use the new design. But as Nathan said, it’s a new design and we’re working on fixing the glitches. As long as people report them we’re happy to fix them as we can :). Also note that Komodo is crazy customization so in mean time a lot of things can be fixed in the Tools > Color Scheme Editor. If it’s not fixable by a predefined CSS rule you can add custom CSS.

Thanks for the feedback @Dragi_Raos and reaching out for help.

• Carey

Well, almost… :o)

Thank you, guys. This seems to be a very nice and lively community.

1 Like

Re: code folding symbols – this has come up before, and it’s typically the color theme that does not draw the symbols in enough contrast with the margin background color. Try changing the “Fold Icon” foreground color.