Can't open files in Komodo IDE 9.0

Note that resetting my profile didn’t solve my problem. Not even deleting all profiles and starting over.
The only thing that helped was deleting the entire “Komodo IDE” folder in addition to the folder holding the profiles (KomodoIDE). I don’t know what the Komodo IDE (with the space between the words) folder holds, but that is the one that helped me, and not the profile folder. It looks like it is related to environment settings for Komodo IDE, since deleting that cleared more settings that I still had after deleting my entire profile, so maybe it is another portion of the profile. Sorry if this is confusing, but I wanted to be very clear that deleting the entire folder of all profiles didn’t help.

I had this problem too. @ghanoch’s comments about 8.5 gave me a hint. After removing references to older versions of KomodoIDE from the system PATH, then restarting the IDE, it was able to open files again.

Sorry, false alert. It’s still unable to open a number of files.

Note: for me this only happens in debug mode. The IDE fails to open a file, then asks to add URI mapping, which also doesn’t help.

Update: I found my problem. I was using a relative path in my perl includes, and the code did a chdir along the way, at which point Komodo isn’t able to find the module (though this isn’t a problem for the perl interpreter).

Interesting. Could you provide a test case on which we can reproduce the problem?

I moved 4 posts to a new topic: Perl Readonly while Debugging

That’s really odd @ghanoch. That folder is a Mozilla artifact. We don’t use that folder at all. It showed up around Mozilla 25 or something. Sounds like we may need to look into what they do with those folders.

Thanks for the heads up!

• Carey

Interesting. I don’t believe I ever installed Mozilla or used it anywhere. You give me comfort in completely letting go of it. The folder has almost nothing: “AppData\Local\ActiveState\ActiveState Komodo IDE 8\lib\mozilla”, including:
updates\ - including an empty folder “0” and a file “last-update.log”
active-update.xml
updates.xml

And, more interestingly, an empty folder: AppData\Local\ActiveState\ActiveState Komodo IDE 9\lib\mozilla, that was created on the date I installed Komodo IDE 9 - so definitely not some old leftover.

When looking at my installed programs in Control Panel, I don’t see Mozilla.
I hope this info helps you (I don’t need any help now that my problem is resolved).
If you need, I can send you a zip of these two tiny folders.

Sorry @ghanoch, I wasn’t clear. Komodo is built on the Mozilla framework (version 35). That is why it exists. That folder was made by the Mozilla codebase that Komodo runs on top of but is not (should not) be used by Komodo. I’ll have to look into what it’s used for. I’m relatively new to the dev team.

• Carey

This thread still appears to be exploratory to me - in that I do not see clearly the steps to be able to open ALL files within Komodo IDE 9.0. I tried deleting the “9.0” folder under “…\Local\ActiveState\KomodoIDE” and the entire “…\Komodo IDE” folder AND setting the internationalization preference to UTF8. I am still not able to open some of my files (not sure how they are different in any substantive way from other files), and the following error message appears (consistently) in pystderr.log:

ERROR:xpcom:Unhandled exception calling 'int8 * load();'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 9\lib\mozilla\python\xpcom\server\policy.py", line 300, in _CallMethod_
    return 0, func(*params)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 9\lib\mozilla\components\koDocument.py", line 516, in load
    self._loadFromFile(self.file)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 9\lib\mozilla\components\koDocument.py", line 526, in _loadFromFile
    self._loadfile(file)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 9\lib\mozilla\components\koDocument.py", line 591, in _loadfile
    self._documentSizeFactor, hasLongLine = self._classifyDocumentBySize(data)
  File "C:\Program Files (x86)\ActiveState Komodo IDE 9\lib\mozilla\components\koDocument.py", line 548, in _classifyDocumentBySize
    documentByteCountThreshold = self.prefs.getLongPref("documentByteCountThreshold")
  File "<XPCOMObject method 'getLongPref'>", line 3, in getLongPref
Exception: 2147549183 (NS_ERROR_UNEXPECTED)
[2015-03-26 16:10:32,020] [ERROR] views: 
-- EXCEPTION START --
[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [koIDocument.load]"  nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://komodo/content/views.js :: viewManager.prototype._newViewFromURI :: line 569"  data: no]
+ toString (function) 3 lines
+ message (string) 'Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [koIDocument.load]'
+ result (number) 2147500037
+ name (string) 'NS_ERROR_FAILURE'
+ filename (string) 'chrome://komodo/content/views.js'
+ lineNumber (number) 569
+ columnNumber (number) 0
+ inner (object) null
| + data (object) null
| + stack (string) 'viewManager.prototype._newViewFromURI@chrome://komodo/content/views.js:569:12
viewManager.prototype.'...232 chars
+ location (object) JS frame :: chrome://komodo/content/views.js :: viewManager.prototype._newViewFromURI :: line 569
| + QueryInterface (function) 3 lines
| + language (number) 2
| + languageName (string) 'JavaScript'
| + filename (string) 'chrome://komodo/content/views.js'
| + name (string) 'viewManager.prototype._newViewFromURI'
| + lineNumber (number) 569
| + columnNumber (number) 12
| + sourceLine (string) ''
| + caller (object) JS frame :: chrome://komodo/content/views.js :: viewManager.prototype._doFileOpen :: line 699
| + formattedStack (string) 'viewManager.prototype._newViewFromURI@chrome://komodo/content/views.js:569:12
viewManager.prototype.'...232 chars
| + stack
    viewManager.prototype._newViewFromURI@chrome://komodo/content/views.js:569:12
    viewManager.prototype._doFileOpen@chrome://komodo/content/views.js:699:11
    viewManager.prototype.doFileOpenAsync/<@chrome://komodo/content/views.js:724:19
-- EXCEPTION END --

If I misunderstood steps to solve, please explicitly restate - I do not WANT to delete my preferences for Komodo 8.5 - which I am actively using.

thanks,
m

It’s with great interest that I read this thread but like others I don’t see a clear resolution at this time. For background I installed KIDE 9 onto a Win 7 system with an existing KIDE 8.5 install. Upon the first launch of 9 I tried to open a file but it failed with the message “Komodo was unable to open the file: xxxxxxx.py”. I am able to open some files but like someone stated above there isn’t a visible rhyme or reason as to why some fail and others don’t.

My 8.5 install is working fine.

Few questions to help us narrow this down further:

• Could you see if deleting view-state.xmlc and doc-state.xmlc from your profile folder helps?
  • Were you guys alpha/beta users by any chance?
  • What were your installation steps?
  • Please attach your pystderr.log file if you haven’t already

Hello Nathan -

• Deleting the two XMLC files may have fixed issue: quickly testing with files that failed before, I can now open those files
  • Not alpha/beta user
  • Installation was download and run Windows installer - accepting all defaults
  • I am trying to Upload OLD (in error) log file renamed with PNG extension - NOT sure if that works??

Good luck figuring out original cause(s) of issue.

thanks.

Your image not work.

Thanks @mlorenat, please continue to use Komodo as is and let us know after a few hours of use if your problem is permanently gone.

This seems to have resolved the problem.

Thanks Nathan.

Could you see if deleting view-state.xmlc and doc-state.xmlc from your profile folder helps?
This did clear the error. Unfortunately I deleted both at one shot so I don’t know which one was causing the problem.

Were you guys alpha/beta users by any chance?
Nope.

What were your installation steps?
Downloaded .MSI and license files. Ran installer accepting all defaults. After install of program completed ran license installer.

Please attach your pystderr.log file if you haven’t already.
With the problem appearing to be resolved do you still want me to send this file?

Nope, I think we’re getting a pretty good picture of what the problem is. Thanks for reporting in!