Will Komodo 9 finally be the Komodo that has all those niggles and bugs ironed out?

Hmm link doesnt seem to work for me, nor the old one. I guess workflowy made some changes?

1 Like

Think they did, yes! Updated now…

Some of those have definitely been addressed, though not all, and some of those likely wont ever be addressed (eg. moving panels to different windows). We’ve mostly been working on large features up till recently, so the polishing phase in which problems like the ones mentioned in your collection has only just started so we’ll likely still be addressing many of those raised issues.

I hope so.

Autocomplete on the nightly I downloaded last night was unusable as everything was so dark.

Still no quotes in HTML attr= which is a mind-boggling omission! (it’s kind of my yardstick for polishing).

That was pretty much as far I dared go…

:smiley:

Autocomplete is skinned according to the color scheme you use. What color scheme were you using?

Whatever is the default.

The editor (HTML) was white background with dark text.

The autocomplete popup was a very dark brown background with black text.

Anyway, I’m sure you will catch it for final release.

Could you please file a bug for something like that? Sounds like a perfect chance for something to get missed.

Also the quotes after HTML tag attributes fell off the milestone so it was not looked at for Komodo 9: ActiveState Support for Enterprise and Developers

I’ve updated it.

EDIT: Microsoft reported that they will support Docker soon so for Windows users, you’ll be able to user @nathanr’s instructions to build a docker image that contains the build or possibly even use the one that Nathan creates.

• Carey

Nerdgasm

I personally dont care much for Windows but this opens doors… doors I tell you!

Have sent you guys an email :slight_smile:

Filed a bug! :smiley:

I have not gotten a chance to try out Komodo 9 yet but some things I would like to see:

1. Better SSH support, When I hit save the window should not freeze up. Or worse when I have multiple windows open, 1 SSH can lock out all the windows. Some drag and drop support and basic file support to make SSH feel like working locally.

2. When I drag and drop, I would like a confirmation box. Not too fond of playing find the file you accidentally dragged.

3. As I work on multiple projects at the same time, how about custom Themes for each project? It often happens that I have multiple versions of the same project open. (on different servers) and then I would start working back and forth only to realize I am working on the wrong project/server. Quick color codes would make it easy to identify. I use same approach when working on multiple servers on RDP, use different colors to quickly identify where I am.

4. On the database stuff, are we going to get Postgres support? It has been 5 years since it has been promised. Redis support would be nice on the side too.

Note that while we appreciate all the feedback this thread should not become a dumping ground for bugs/enhancement requests, please use the bug tracker to file them instead. Tracking them via a forum thread is not productive and really only useful for having an open discussion about what a bug / enhancement request might entail.

Also, don’t put all requests in one bug/enhancement request. Multiple action items in one bug is a really great way to lose track of things.

• Carey

PS. BUT yes! As Nathan said, Thank you for taking time to let us know!

Hi Nathan, indeed I agree that feedback is of the utmost importance, and as said in a different thread I also develop software, and need that feedback to make improvement. But put yourself on the side of the people providing feedback: the first thing you expect is for the feedback to be taken into account in some way, specially if you are reporting bugs, or making what seem relevant suggestions. I count 14 done by myself since I started using Komodo as programmer’s editor in 2011, and counted now how many of these bugs are still present in Komodo 9 - latest build from April/15: eight of them are still there. So half of the reports were not taken into account. Two days ago I revised these and added to each of them a note saying that these bug are still there in the latest build of K9.

Now, please don’t read me wrong, Komodo is in my opinion a GREAT editor, the best one, otherwise I would not be using it, but these little things here and there … and the fact that they accumulate as if the priority is put somewhere else is not good, diminishing the good impression and leaving the door open for people to be willing to try other editors. I do realize that resources for fixing things are always scarce but reports should be addressed at some point, not more than 6 months later, say. This is the list of 8 remaining issues I mentioned above: #91956, created 2011-12-21, #96310, suggestion (relevant), created 2012-11-24 , #102152, created 2013-12-10, #102153, created 2013-12-10, #102154, created 2013-12-10, #102155, created 2013-12-10, #102159, created 2013-12-10, #102211, created 2013-12-10.

To these, I added two days ago another one that I do not see listed in “My Bugs”, perhaps an issue with the website: when having the beautiful Abyss dark skin, the skin color is not applied to the title field that displays the output of “run a command” in “Command Output Tab”, so that the output is illegible (the color of the font for the Abyss skin seem to be the same as the color of the background for other skins, and the bug is that both get mixed, and then you cannot read anything). This plus the fact, also tracked as feedback that when you resize this command output tab (lower window) the text in the main window blinks and jumps (badly), makes K9 not usable for work. I am still with K8. For that reason I reported these two new bugs. But then no feedback happened. I want to change, but it must be at least as good as K8.

All in all: I still think you are producing the very best editor available, for Mac at least, but a bit more attention to the details still not working 100%, the minor things here and there accumulating…, the feedback disregarded after some time… all these are areas for improvement, I think, and somehow this is what I feel others are saying as well in this thread.

@ecterrab I totally hear you and I really REALLY appreciate you taking the time to give feedback both on the forums and the bug tracker.

We have been making a lot of changes both internally and externally to better position ourselves to deal with this feedback, most notable:

• We created a new website just for Komodo which focuses on the product and its community
  • We moved to a completely new forum software that makes interacting with you guys easier and more pleasant
  • We have started moving addons, macros, to an all-new interface called the Komodo Resources
  • We’ve moved our bug tracker from Bugzilla to Github
  • We’ve started working internally on a completely new documentation site
  • We’ve started putting time aside internally specifically to resolve small issues that would otherwise not take a priority on their own

All of this has happened in just the past year and we will continue to work on more projects that make our community more enjoyable and more importantly; to position it in a way that it actually helps make Komodo a better software.

What I’m getting at is that it’s not as simple as to simply address all the bugs everyone has ever reported, we got to a point where our systems just became hard to manage. Now with all the changes we’ve gone through over the past year we are in a much better position to listen to our community and I promise you that you will notice the results of those changes in the quality of Komodo going forward :smile:

Hopefully this addresses the concerns you voiced.

The old bugs system has been shutdown for over a month now. Is that where you submitted a bug two days ago? That should not have been possible. Did you potentially file it under a different product?

Either way, please file all new bugs on our github account: Sign in to GitHub · GitHub

And as @nathanr said already:

Honestly, it’s more common to get zero back.

• Carey

Hi Carey, NathanI
Regarding the latest build of Komodo 9 (Apr/15): I tracked now in github the color issues, but when trying to track the blinking of the screen while resizing the lower panel, the github webpage didn’t allow me to attach a quick movie. If I remember correctly, the old bugzilla website allowed you to attach movies, which is in fact a relevant thing when reporting bugs in an interface.

Regarding those bugs reported time ago but not addressed (mentioned in my previous reply), I received now a message: “Please move this issue to github if you are still experiencing it”. Again, please don’t take these comments wrong, I’m only trying to provide a view from the other side of the road: if you decided to move bugs from bugzilla to github, I think it is not a good idea to ask Komodo users who tracked issues to do that move. Also, in the particular case of [Komodo Bug 102155], this request to me came after I added a note saying that I am still experiencing the issue in Komodo 9 latest built from April/15. The same situation with regards to [Komodo Bug 102211].

Nathan, Carey, I’d like to say again that Komodo is the best editor for mac that I am aware of (and I think I know all the good ones). My comments here were definitely not to disqualify anything but just to echo a feeling that seemed to me expressed also by some others, regarding perhaps minor details that are however visible, reported some time ago, and where fixing them can improve concretely the perception of this really fantastic Editor. Anyway, I read in your replay Nathan, that you are already putting time aside for this, so I am looking forward. Meantime I decided to start using K9 regardless of the issues I tracked, precisely in order to be able to give you more feedback.

I respect your opinion and I can certainly see where you are coming from, but this was a calculated move. The reasoning being that Komodo is now 15 years old and the old bug tracker had bugs dating back almost a decade, most of which arent even relevant anymore. The system had gone through several managers and simply got to the point where it was being more of a “bug” in itself. The choice was made to start fresh and ensure that the new database is properly curated. We did not simply dump bugzilla, we are still using it and will continue to use it (reference it) for the next couple of months while we complete our transition. We kindly ask people to move their bugs to the new system simply to ensure that their bug reports are properly transitioned.

Always very happy to receive bug reports, its hard to fix something when you don’t know its broken, and its hard to prioritize something when you don’t know who is affected. So thank you :slight_smile:

I’ve been watching this thread for a while, and appreciate seeing the give and take from both perspectives (long-time users, Komodo dev team). One of the more interesting threads on the forum to date…

@nathanr I’ve probably just missed it if it has been stated somewhere previously, but is the above statement from you sort of an official encouragement to replicate entries we care about from the old bug tracking system into Github as issues? I logged a few things during the v9 release candidate stage, and we had a fair amount of back-and-forth on a couple threads here in the forums particularly on the new filetype icons. I’d like to see those things get resolved and I am willing to replicate them in Github, but I also don’t want to waste your time (and my own) if you are still paying attention to entries which are still relevant in the old bug tracking system.

You can take it that way; we’re not explicitly asking anyone to do that, it’s not your job to move over issues. We simply suggest it if users want to ensure that their issue is getting all the attention it needs. As I said we will be referencing bugzilla, but it’ll be much easier for us to find your issue on github, simply because its not hidden behind tons and tons of old (and now irrelevant) bugs.