Komodo.exe vs ko.exe?

What is the difference between these two files??
They are almost exactly the same size, so one is not a launcher for the other.
However, they are not exactly the same size, so they aren’t just two copies with different names.
Once Komodo is running, I can use either program to load a file, and the file loads into the same window.
After closing Komodo, I can use either one with no arguments; this restores my previous session, and current version number is 10.1.2
This is rather a mystery!!

Honestly it’s a mystery to me too, that is something that has been around since well before any of the current developers started working on Komodo.

We could certainly find out if it were an issue, but I’m not going to invest the time just for the sake of curiosity. :wink:

1 Like

And there’s no need to!! That answers my questions fully!!
I’ll try deleting ko.exe (since if I wanted a shortcut, I’d just define an alias), and make sure things keep working…

I’m not sure how I answered your question. Why are you trying to delete one? Is it taking up too much disk space? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think deleting one is a good idea, while I am not certain what each individuals purpose is I am certain they each have a purpose.

Well, essentially, I’m working on a contracting job, and the machine they gave me is running Win7 32-bit, with a 60 GB drive, 14GB free. So I’m trying to avoid eating disk wherever possible.

I removed ko.exe, and reloaded komodo.exe, and so far it seems to be running fine. I kept a copy of ko.exe elsewhere, though, so if I end up with any unexpected behavior, I’ll just restore it.

BTW, you “answered my question” by not having a specific reason for the file’s existence!! I understand supporting existing software, and am familiar with the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” concept!

It’s your perogative of course but you do understand that this file is less than 1mb and only a tiny fraction of your disk space? It won’t make much of a difference.

If you want to save some disk space and are looking at Komodo you could delete your old profile folders. Just delete any versioned folder (eg. 9.3, 10.0) except for the latest one (should be 10.1).

I’ll keep those thoughts in mind. As I said, I have it backed up on the network, and can restore it if something starts not working (which has not occurred so far).

Thanks for the notes on the profile folders, though; I wasn’t aware of those.

FYI, they are mutually exclusive files, they do not depend on each other. They are identical stub files that point to another Komodo.exe file buried in your install that allows the real Komodo binary to live in it’s proper location and be run in the proper environment.

Remove ko.exe will not break Komodo. What it will break is Windows integrations. Having removed this file for seemingly no reason, this could result in you filing additional bugs that have nothing to do with Komodo.

You must understand, we cannot take bug reports from you if you have issues later when you modify the software installed source, regardless of how innocuous the change may seem.

There has to be a better way to save disk space. Use WinDirStat if you want to find what’s really using up disk space on your computer.

• Carey

Okay, Okay, I’ll put it back…

I have run WinDirStat on my system… unfortunately, the only large file that could be removed was hyperfile.sys, since I don’t use hibernation. Otherwise, the disk is just filled with millions of tiny files that cannot easily be optimized.

Perhaps you could install certain software to an external hard disk? I do this myself on my 128gb macbook.

ko.exe is a Windows CLI application; komode.exe is a Windows GUI application (that might be the only difference). Try ko --help vs. komodo --help to see the difference.

1 Like