Komodo Edit, can't love it, can't hate it... BUGS!

first of all: your sites facebook SSO is not working, gives me a 500. You might want to fix that…

So I’ve been a long time komodo user… I’ve been using it at least since 5.something, possibly even 4, if that existed… I’ve been using it for a LONG time.

Now let me clarify, I love Komodo edit for its simplicity, it gets the job done, and every time I try something else, I’m back with Komodo soon enough…

Let me clarify as well… I hate komodo edit for the extremely anoying bugs… There are bugs I’ve submitted multiple times years ago (that long ago that I cannot find them anymore) and they’re still there. I’ve talked to devs many times about bugs that I encounter on a daily basis that they apparently never have been able to replicate (I guess I’m special?)

Add to that that new bugs are added regularly lately, and I’m seriously on the point where I gladly suffer a differenteditor over having to suffer Komodo any much longer…

I don’t know if anybody has encountered these issues, but my main Komodo edit issues are these:

1. I develop php sites using git… Whenever I git checkout, git switch branch, etc. files disappear from the navigator. Usually files I just edited, then closed then I mess around with git, and the files are gone. Whenever that happens, I have to manually refresh that path, and the file is there again. This bug has been a “feature” of komodo edit for at least since version 5, I’ve talked about it a hundred times, I’ve submitted bug reports, and its still a feature :frowning: I see this issue on a daily basis, I’ve seen it with developers that work for me, its not that hard to run in to.

2. Komodo sub treads (I guess) running wild… This has happened also since (probably) komodo 5… From what I’ve seen its usually different systems that run wild, but they do… Right now I’m developing with komodo, I open up a shell and… music start to tak tak tak tak tak tak tak repeat, my entire machine freezes for a good 10 seconds while komodo suddenly requires some 3GB extra memory, causing my linux machine to completely freeze until it has swapped enough memory to sustain whatever komodo edit is doing… Loads of time Komodo starts scanning files (please please give me an option to just stop that!!!) and its doing that with such rigor that it nearly brings my machine to its knees… I don’t need komodo to scan files. Shut up komodo, please just be an editor…

3. type to navigate in the navigator… I LOVE that I don’t have to mouse scroll and select in the navigator… I can type the name of a file and the cursor moves there, YAY!! Love it! Its fast and efficient. Yet, every now and then (read: about every 10 times I open a file), suddenly this no longer works, and I have to move the cursor up and down, left and right a few times and suddenly it starts working again.

I’ve reported these bugs already multiple times since a long time ago, I’m honestly a bit tired of trying that again. I really hope somebody can fix these bugs so that I can finally have a simple and efficient editor…

And to clarify: I’d be all to happy to help out if it means that these issues would be resolved, I really do like the editor. Its just that I’m a bit tired of having to run into these bugs, and not ever seeing them resolved…

Hi, I suspect these bugs haven’t been fixed because we have not been able to reproduce the issues you’re encountering. As it stands, the report you’ve given is quite vague. If you are able to consistently trigger a problem and communicate those exact steps in a bug report, we might be able to do something about it. (I confess I haven’t seen any of your reports.)

As far as (2), that’s probably Komodo’s code intelligence scanning a giant project that you’ve opened. You can turn off code intelligence or change the maximum directory depth to scan in Edit > Preferences > Code Intelligence. You can also exclude particular folders in Project > Preferences > Languages > (Your Language) > (Your Language) Directories.

In addition to what mitchell has said I would want to note that Komodo Edit is the open source counterpart of Komodo IDE, and while it does get tested it does not get tested as thoroughly as IDE. Part of it being open source entails that we have a certain reliance on the community to report bugs.