Is Komodo a dead-end

but that’s correlation - not causation

No, in my opinion it’s a lack of adequate testing. Dont tell me i’m just seeing more bugs, but that there arent in reality.

It sounds to me as if you don’t want understand what is being said. You might be a black swan, no matter how much testing is done. I, for one, have never experienced a crashes. Does it make it a general truth about Komodo’s stability or testing?

2 Likes

You probably are seeing a higher number of bugs. That’s super unfortunate; I am certain Activestate wants to fix it.

I’m not seeing a higher number of bugs. My install is rock solid, for some value of “rock solid”.

I tend to style my attitude about this seemingly intractable situation with the wisdom contained in http://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks:

The only reason coders’ computers work better than non-coders’ computers
is coders know computers are schizophrenic little children with
auto-immune diseases and we don’t beat them when they’re bad.

I have a config that works and nothing will get me to change it; and yet I also tend to completely reset my config every major version, reimporting tools and extensions completely from scratch as I need them. Why? Because this keeps the aforementioned “auto-immune diseases” at bay. I reinstall my OS from scratch every major release, usually (I’m on OS X). Why? Because it helps keep the demons away. I don’t install hacks, haxies, patches, those weird “language extension” things that were all the rage in OS X … I like my install predictable and boring and I’d rather give up a moment of power-user performance for hours of stability.

This is of course in no way to insinuate that you’re constantly beating your machine with a ballpeen hammer and blaming bugs on Activestate. Rather, it’s an example of the industry at large. The same bag of bytes 10 people use without problems craters and burns for the 11th, and no one can figure out why.

I see this in software I write. I wish I had an answer. I wouldn’t tell you if I did, of course; I’d be in Majorca having my army of supermodels count my money.

/rant

1 Like

@neurobashing: Your dedication to detail is utterly astounding. You win. I’m not sure what exactly it is that you win, but you win. Well played sir :smile: