Different background color due to file encoding chosen in Komodo Edit 11

Hey fellows,
using lovely Komodo Edit happily now since 10-15 years I’ve been defining my own color scheme, used over various file types. Since some time I have problems with the file type *.m for Matlab and *.py for Python. Depending on which file encoding I select in Komodo (either UTF-8 what I prefer or ASCII) Komodo changes the background color. Please inspect my two images two illustrate the problem. The 1st one (I select ASCII in Komodo) behaves as desired .
The 2nd one (I select UTF-8) poses the problem with altered and thus annoying background color: .

Question: Why does Komodo alter the background color between ASCII and UTF-8? I checked everywhere in the Color Scheme Editor, each entry is set correctly to the common background color I’m using as depicted in example 1.

The solution I’m seeking is to keep the UTF-8 file encoding scheme WITH my common and not an altered background color.

Note: As soon as I’m changing the file encoding, Komodo Edit 11 wants to save the file. Sure, cause it seeks to alter the file encoding as stored on the drive. But, on Ubuntu 16 using the tool ‘file’ to check the encoding, it remains always ASCII (at least in this example case).

Thanks for any help in advance :slight_smile:

Hi @subi,

I can’t reproduce the colour scheme issue after encoding changes. Could you share your colour scheme file so I can try this locally? This link will show you where you can find the file in your Komodo profile:
https://community.activestate.com/faq/komodo-file-locations#appdata_dir

I’m not able to reproduce this on Windows. Can you reproduce on a second machine by any chance? If not, please try to reproduce the issue in Help > Troubleshooting > Restart in Sae-Mode. If yes, please file a bug:

• Carey

Hey Carey,
sadly I cannot share the color scheme file with extension ksf here.
Your forum web code tells
“Sorry, the file you are trying to upload is not authorized (authorized extensions: jpg, jpeg, png, gif)”.
When I tried to fake it by renaming the extension to .jpg it tells
“Sorry, but we couldn’t determine the size of the image. Maybe your image is corrupted?”

I know already I can reproduce it on another machine.
At home I use Linuxmint.
At work I use Ubuntu.

The reason must be related to the file encoding.
Even if Komodo Edit 11.0 tells it is saving my files as UTF-8,
the linux tool “file” tells

$file matlab_example.m
matlab_example.m: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

I could try this at home with Windows.
Do you have by any chance a Linux machine?

Good luck to all of us …

Since you reproduced it ^^ You’ll be able to include the colour scheme as a *.txt file.

Please filed a bug for the encoding issue as well. I don’t know off the top of my head what the issue might be there, if there is an issue at all.

• Carey

Hey Buddy,
here is the filed issue:

Thanks in Advance :slight_smile:

Thanks @subi.